Chicken Tinga – An authentic Mexican recipe with a delicious, spicy and smoky shredded chicken cooked in onions, tomatoes and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Served on warm tacos or tostadas, topped with purple cabbage, radishes, avocado, pepper jack cheese and cilantro makes a perfect meal!
This year for Cinco de Mayo, I am making this flavorful dish in my instant pot to serve as a delicious taco filling. Chicken Tinga can be made ahead of time as the flavors get deeper and earthier.
We enjoy our Chicken Tinga Tacos with a lot of colorful toppings – avocados, shredded purple/green cabbage, corn, radishes, cilantro and of course cheese! You can substitute, add, skip any of these toppings. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
This Chicken Tinga recipe is also good in a slow cooker or stovetop. Just adjust the timings so that the chicken is cook soft and can be easily shredded.
If you love Mexican food like us, please check out the crispy and delicious Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilla recipe too!
Here is the quick video on making Chicken Tinga in Instant Pot:
- ½ of a 7 oz can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 LB chicken breasts
- ½ cup chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- To Serve:
- 10 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings to serve:
- ½ cup Cilantro
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded (purple or green)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cheese (we love pepper jack)
- Puree quartered tomato, garlic and chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. Keep aside.
- Turn IP to saute mode(More). Once the hot sign displays add oil and sliced onions. Cook for a minute with glass lid on.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken breasts, broth and salt.
- Pour the pepper puree over the chicken breasts. Turn IP to Manual(HI) for 8 mins followed NPR.
- Take the chicken out and shred it. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot and turn IP to saute mode.
- Cook for 5 mins or until the sauce thickens to desired consistency. Adjust salt and add cayenne pepper to taste. Serve on corn tortilla with cabbage, avocado, shredded pepper jack. Top it with chopped cilantro.