Corn Poblano Chowder – An earthy, peppery corn chowder cooked with summer’s seasonal bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes, poblano peppers, spicy jalapeno, potatoes and fresh parsley. A satisfying, gluten-free vegan recipe without any cream or cheese and is so effortless in the Instant Pot.
This recipe is inspired from Panera Bread’s Summer corn chowder recipe. Except it is even better with no dairy! I puree the scraped corn with some water to give the soup a hearty texture and add arrowroot slurry for creaminess making this a perfect gluten free vegan dish.
I love buying fresh bi-color sweet corn in the summer! Although frozen sweet corn will work well for this corn chowder, I still love scraping fresh corn kernels and taking out every bit of goodness from the cob. I have used both regular peppers and poblano peppers in this recipe. I have to say that the complex sweetness and subtle heat from poblano peppers make this chowder exceptional!
Here is a video on this easy Corn Poblano Chowder Instant Pot recipe:
- 5 ears of fresh corn, husked
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes(10 oz) or 2 fresh red tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour or corn flour, mixed in 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- With a knife cut kernels from the corn. Keep aside.
- Scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Puree these with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add oil. Add poblano's, onions and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook covered with glass lid for 4-5 mins until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, pureed corn, corn kernels, salt, and allspice. Add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 5 mins. Quick release or Natural release the pressure.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup for a few seconds. This step is optional.
- Mix arrowroot powder slurry in the soup and turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for additional heat.
- Note: You can also use celery, green or red peppers in this recipe.