French Toast/Bread Pudding in Instant Pot – This weekend I discovered an amazing recipe! A delightful and moist French Toast with texture of bread pudding, which tasted heavenly. Boys were elated for breakfast plus they had additional toppings to choose from – more butter, chocolate chips, bananas, more marmalade and maple syrup! For a family that mostly eats healthy, we went all crazy this weekend.
It all started with the French Brioche Bread that I have been eyeing at Trader Joe’s! Every time I saw it wanted to eat french toast. Finally, I bought it last week and decided to try it in my InstaPot rather than the conventional baked recipe. There was no recipe that I was following and I just went with my instincts. I whisked together the normal egg+vanilla+cinnamon+sugar+milk mixture. I had a jar of orange marmalade that I wanted to use. So I stirred in a few spoons of that. Drenched the cubed bread in the liquids. Poured in my spring foam cake pan and cooked in the Instant Pot. After 15 minutes of cook time, I impatiently Quick Released the pressure. I was surprised to see the moist, gooey yumminess I had created. I let it sit for another 5 mins allowing it to settle a bit more. I could have broiled the french toast for a few minutes to get crispy top but we decided to just dig in!
I sprinkled a little more cinnamon on top, spread a spoonful of salted butter that melted beautifully on the hot pudding. Then we served a big spoonful each in our plates and served with bananas, chocolate chips and maple syrup! What a way to start the weekend with 4 happy tummies!! Next time, I may try to broil, but then I might miss the moist bread pudding consistency?
Going off-cycle with this blog post, rushing a bit as I know I have promised a bunch of you this recipe. So please excuse me for any typos/errors. Here is an easy French Toast recipe for Pressure Cooking:
- 7 slices of French Brioche bread (or any french bread), cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1cup milk, whole or 2% (I used whole milk)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Toppings (optional):
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a round cake pan with butter or oil. I used butter spray. (I have a 7” springform pan, that does not have a seal proof base, so I put aluminum foil to avoid any liquid from dripping out. Time to get a new pan)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, brown sugar, marmalade, vanilla and 1 tsp ground cinnamon until smooth.
- Add bread cubes to the bowl and mix gently, so that all the bread pieces are covered with liquids.
- Pour in the prepared cake pan. Line up the top layer by hand so they sit flat in the pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil (time to dig out my stainless steel plate instead to cover the pan). If you prefer to not use aluminum foil, cover the pan with a few paper towels instead. This prevents from any additional water from getting into the pan.
- Add 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place the cake pan on the trivet.
- Gently put the trivet in the pot. Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing.
- Cook on Manual(Hi) for 15 mins. QR.
- Open Instant Pot. Carefully lift the trivet with the pan, and take it out. I use paper towels to hold the trivet.
- Allow to sit for 5 mins. (optionally broil for 5 mins)
- Sprinkle more cinnamon and spread a tablespoon of butter (love salted butter here)
- Serve with your favorite toppings - fruit, nuts, chocolate chips and maple syrup!