Mixed Lentils & Vegetables Khichdi – A vegetarian, one-pot, gluten free dish with lentils, rice and vegetables, cooked in ghee, turmeric and red chili powder makes an amazingly flavorful comfort meal!
Khichdi, Khichadi or Kitchari is a nourishing porridge-like dish cooked with lentils and rice. Referred to as the Indian “comfort food”, it is often used for babies and the elderly, a healthy meal that is easy to chew, digest and SO good for the body!
I grew up eating khichdi for a LOT of dinner meals. My mom cooked this soft, mushy and lightly spiced dish that was so comforting and light that it always made a perfect dinner. She had many variations of this dish, so when someone asks me about khichdi, there are so many different recipes that come to my mind.
Although, I want to share some of my mom’s khichdi recipes, I want to share this one that I started making years ago. When the boys were little and I was working crazy hours, picking them from day care and then trying to figure out our dinners, this dish has come to rescue so many times! It helped me serve healthy, wholesome and guilt-free dinners that we all enjoyed.
This khichdi recipe was developed over the years, adding and changing the combination of vegetables and spices so as to not over power the dish. I now have a recipe that I love and is my signature dish! A recipe I was so proud to share with my mom, who absolutely loves it and has on a repeat list.
So here is my khichdi recipe that I cooked for years on stove top pressure cooker that is a breeze in the Instant Pot:
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup green beans, chopped
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- 1 red potato, cubed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mild red chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup mixed lentils(moong, masoor, toor and chana daal)
- 6 cup water
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute Mode. Once the ‘hot’ sign displays, add ghee, cumin seeds and ginger.
- Cook for a 30 seconds. Add all the vegetables (carrots, beans, peas, tomato, potato, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach). Mix well.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add rice and mixed lentils. Add 6 cups of water. Give everything a quick stir and close IP lid with pressure valve to sealing.
- Press the rice button (12 mins) followed by NPR. Open IP, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with roasted papad and pickle.