Sprouted Lentils Khichdi – A protein packed, healthy and wholesome dish made with sprouted whole brown or green lentils, rice, ginger, garlic and spices.
I am obsessed with lentils and beans and my collection of them in my pantry keeps growing! With their long shelf life, they come in handy for making healthy and quick protein packed meals and snacks. I often soak and sprout a few different beans and use them during busy weekdays for meals. Sprouted lentils also have more vitamins and are easily digested. With Summer almost here, I am already enjoying the cool, crunchy and healthful sprouted mung bean salad.
Whole brown or green lentils, also known as ‘Masoor’ in India, is one of my favorite lentils. They are versatile with a mild and earthy flavor making them a great substitute for meat in some dishes.
In my post about mixed lentils and vegetable khichdi, I promised to put more khichdi recipes. So here is my another go-to khichdi recipe that makes a wholesome one pot meal. It is cooked with homemade ghee, rice, lentils, vegetables, turmeric, red chili powder and a dash of homemade garam masala for the aroma. This Instant Pot recipe is adapted from my stove top recipe that I have been using for years.
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder (or any mild red chili powder)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 cup brown lentils (I used sprouted)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 cup water
- cilantro for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add ghee, cumin seeds and turmeric. Add curry leaves, ginger, garlic and onions. Mix well and cook covered with the glass lid on for 2 minutes.
- Give a quick stir and then add tomatoes. Mix well. Add red chili powder,salt and garam masala.
- Add lentils, rice and 3 cups of water. Give a quick stir.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual(Hi) for 6 minutes followed by Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant Pot. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy hot with Raita.