Shrimp Biryani – Spicy and delicate, full-flavored meal, made with fragrant basmati rice and shrimp! The warm flavors of fresh spices, turmeric, red chili powder and the sweetness from onions cooked in ghee make this an ultimate dish for lunch or dinner!
It is a crazy time of the year for my family and I am sure many of you are in the same boat. We have a 5th -grade and an 8th-grade graduation coming up. Several end-of-the-year activities that have made our days busier than ever. I cannot seem to keep up with my calendar. I am very emotional that my boys are going to be moving up to bigger schools! I know they are ready but I am not for this school year to be over. I am not ready to part with their childhood and the beautiful, care-free moments I enjoyed in the elementary school. I know I have to be strong and supportive as they move on to bigger goals in their lives but I do want to hold on to these last few days. I am so NOT ready for this school year to be over.
As time is flying quickly than I would like, I want to make meals that my boys love but still do not take up a ton time and energy. I try cooking healthy, one-pot meals in my Instant Pot which has saved me a lot of time. Here is my easy Shrimp Biryani recipe, that we all love and does not require any marination. I do not add any yogurt and the recipe uses fewer ingredients than the traditional Biryani. The simplicity of this biryani makes it a very achievable meal for busy weeknights.
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 black peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon ginger, grated
- ½ tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 large potato, cubed
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoon mild red chili powder (I used Kashmiri chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound extra large Shrimp (20) - thawed if using frozen
- ½ cup cilantro for garnish
- Rinse and soak the rice in 2 cups of water for 20 mins. Drain the rice after 20 mins.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the hot sign displays, add ghee. Add cumin seeds, peppercorn and bay leaves. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid on for 3-4 mins, until the onions are translucent and light golden in color.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Add shrimp, rice and 2 cups of water. Mix well, making sure all the rice is under the liquids.
- Close Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 6 mins followed by quick release.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot with raita and lime wedges.