Sweet Potato Casserole – A creamy, lightly sweetened sweet potato side dish with the warm aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice is a must-have side dish for holiday dinners!
Thanksgiving is the most relaxing holiday for me as I basically have to make only one dish! My cousin has been hosting this holiday for years now. She has the most amazing and traditional thanksgiving menu. I LOVE so many of her signature dishes like the mushroom pie and the cranberry sauce! We enjoy the Turkey with a delicious stuffing and there is always a yummy salad or two. My contribution to our dinner is this easy sweet potato casserole that we call yummy yams!
I have been making this sweet potato casserole for over fifteen years and the recipe has been modified a few times. It started with baking potatoes in the oven and then making a creamy mash with eggs, lots of butter, sugar and spices. Over the years, I have reduced the butter, sugar and started substituting eggs with orange juice without missing the same creamy texture. Orange juice also adds a little kick of fresh citrus flavors to this dish.
Last year, I used my Instant Pot for cooking the sweet potatoes and it was so much easier and faster than baking them in the oven. The peel came right off and then I followed my old recipe to finish it up in the oven. Last few weeks, I have been trying to come up a recipe that would truly be a one pot dish with an option of skipping the baking part. After a couple of tries, I think I have nailed this recipe that is as tasty as my baked version! A few healthy additions also makes this dish vegan friendly.
So, as the countdown to thanksgiving begins, here is a new and easier way to make your sweet potato casserole in the Instant Pot:
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter divided (or coconut oil)
- 2 pounds yams/sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 20 pecan halves
Set Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Once the hot sign displays, add 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. Add sweet potatoes, orange juice, salt, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg. Mix together.
Spread 1/4 cup of brown sugar on top, do not mix. Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure cook(hi) for 5 minutes followed by quick release.
Using a potato masher or immersion blender, mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
Here are the two options to serve:
If serving from the Instant Pot, spread the remaining vegan butter or coconut oil over the potatoes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of brown sugar and arrange the pecans on top. Set Instant pot to saute(less) and cook for 5 mins or until the potatoes are heated through and the top becomes bubbly. Keep the sweet potatoes on 'keep warm' mode until ready to be served.
If you are serving in casserole, take the mashed sweet potatoes out in a casserole dish. Arrange pecans in a single layer on top. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoon brown sugar and drizzle remaining melted butter over the top. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees, or until browned and bubbly
Sweet potato casserole in the OVEN:
- Use Instant Pot to just cook the sweet potatoes. Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Place washed sweet potatoes on the trivet and cook for 12- 15 mins on manual(hi) with natural pressure release. I pick smallish sweet potatoes that cook faster.
- When cooled, remove skins and place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Beat sweet potatoes until smooth. Then beat in one egg or 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg; beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 3 quart casserole dish. Arrange the pecans in a single layer on top. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and drizzle 2 tablespoon melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned and bubbly.
Also, if you enjoy sweet potatoes as much as we do, don’t forget to try this delicious cardamom and saffron flavored sweet potato halwa with fresh coconut!