Rice Pudding – Lightly sweetened, creamy goodness without any cream that is infused with saffron and cardamom! In India, Rice pudding, kheer or payasam is a quintessential dessert that is made often to celebrate big and small happy moments in life.
This comforting recipe was developed on one busy evening when I was having some friends over for dinner. My planned Mango Pannacotta did not look very promising and I was in a frenzy to make something as a backup dessert. I tossed in rice, ghee, sugar, cardamom and some milk in my InstaPot, pressed porridge button and ran to get the door as the guests arrived for dinner.
An hour later, I realized that the Instant Pot was at the keep warm mode and had depressured. I opened the IP to see creamy, fluffy rice with the beautiful aroma of saffron and cardamom. I stirred in some more milk and let it sit for few more hours on warm mode until we were ready to serve the dessert. We scooped out some warm rice pudding in the bowls. At first, it looked a bit too thick for me who is used to eating much thin Rice Kheer. As I put in the first spoonful of the pudding in my mouth, it took me back the memory lane. It reminded me of my mom’s kheer with the aroma of cardamom and also the creamy kulfi (milk ice cream) with a hint of nuts and saffron. Needless to say, the dessert was devoured by all and I was left mesmerized as to how easy it was to make.
I have made it many times since then, tweaking the recipe, adjusting the ingredients to now what I call as a satisfying and easy rice pudding recipe . No eggs or cream, just a few simple ingredients that make a heavenly treat!
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ½ cup white rice
- 4-5 cups low-fat milk, divided
- ½ cup sugar (more or less depending on taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 tablespoon nuts, almonds, and walnuts coarsely chopped or sliced(optional)
- 2 tablespoon raisins (optional)
- ½ teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté mode. Add ghee and rice. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 3 cups low-fat milk, ½ cup of water, sugar, cardamom powder, nuts, saffron, raisins, coconut, and salt.
- Close Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Press Porridge button. Allow Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant Pot, Mash the rice with the back of a spoon. Add 1-2 cups of low-fat milk (depending on the consistency you like). Add more sugar if needed.
- Cook on saute for 2-3 mins or keep on the warm mode until ready to be served.
- Serve Warm or Chilled