Spicy tandoori chicken wings, grilled to perfection, are made with yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric! I know chicken wings are not “healthy” but this is a healthier version of the typical deep fried wings. In my family, these piquant tandoori wings are a must while watching football on Super bowl Sunday.
Having 3 boys in the house, watching football on Super Bowl sunday became a tradition without me realizing what I was getting myself into. I am not a sports person and certainly not football, but somehow the boys have discretely put me into the task of making certain foods for this day. They make it a point to give me subtle hints few weeks in advance to make sure I am on their game plan.
So here is my recipe for the game day wings. It is adapted from this recipe by food babe that I had come across a few years ago. Once you try this recipe, you will probably never go back to any other kind of wings. As food babe calls them, they truly are “The best chicken wings ever.”
I always start with trimming as much fat/skin off the wings using kitchen shears. Add plain yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, kashmiri red chili powder, homemade garam masala, turmeric, lemon juice and some sea salt over the chicken wings. Mix it well and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Line the wings on a lightly greased grill tray. I also keep another tray undertake grilling tray so the oven does not get messy with all the drippings.
In my convection oven the wings are usually done in 20-25 mins. When the edges being to charr I turn the oven off. These may take up to 45 mins in a non-convection oven. These wings can also be cooked on a outdoor grill.
Serve them steaming hot with some blue cheese or a plain yogurt dip with some sea salt and cilantro or parsley!
- 2 lb raw chicken wings or approximately 32 wings
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp of garam masala **
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder **
- 1 inch ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of sea salt (or to taste)
- handful of cilantro chopped (optional topping after wings are cooked)
- Trim as much skin off of the wings as possible. I use kitchen sheers for this. Make fine paste on ginger and garlic using a tbsp of water.
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro) in a bowl and marinate wings for at least 1 hour or longer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Line up wings on a greased grilling sheet.
- Bake the wings for about 20-25 mins (in a convection oven) or up to 40 mins otherwise.
- Wings can also be cooked on a outdoor grill.
- Serve hot with garnish of chopped cilantro
- ** Add more or less garam masala and red chili powder depending on how spicy you like them.