Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Chicken Karahi or Chicken Kadai is a spicy, homestyle chicken curry with fragrant spices and fresh ginger.
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup ginger julienned
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add onions, ginger and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Use glass lid to speed up the process.
Add the chicken, tomatoes, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala, Kashmiri red chili powder, ground turmeric and salt. Stir well.
Close the Instant Pot lid on with pressure valve to sealing. Select Pressure Cook / Manual (Hi) for 5 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then release all remaining pressure.
Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and cook for 5 minutes as the curry continues to thicken. Garnish with cilantro and ginger. Serve hot with naan and rice.
- Substitute Kashmiri red chili powder with any mild chili powder.
- Make sure to dice the ginger very small so you do get big pieces of ginger in the curry.
- To reduce the spice in this curry, reduce the quantity of red chili powder, garam masala and ginger by half.
- To make the curry more spicy and hot, add a sliced jalapeño along with the onions.
- I love POMI brand chopped tomatoes that taste as good as fresh tomatoes. They come in cartons and come in very handy. You can either use fresh tomatoes or Pomi chopped tomatoes in this recipe.
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 161mg | Sodium: 1189mg | Potassium: 739mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 805IU | Vitamin C: 12.5mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 3.1mg