Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Whole Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower with cucumber raita
Whole roasted spicy-tandoori cauliflower garnished with pickled onions, pistachios and pomegranates served alongside cooling cucumber raita.
- 1 cauliflower head trimmed (2.12 pounds before removing the leaves and stems, 1.3 pounds after)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for basting
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 small persian cucumbers peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios rough chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds or cranberries/raisins
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 5 pickled onions
- 4 Lemon wedges
Step 1: Quick Brine and Steam the Cauliflower:
Add 1 cup water to Instant Pot.
Place the cauliflower head on the trivet and place the trivet inside the Instant Pot
Mix salt and turmeric in 2 tablespoons of water and brush it all over the cauliflower. Turn the cauliflower over and evenly pour any remaining paste on it. Then place the cauliflower back on the trivet with the stem down. Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure cook(hi) for 1 minute. Quick release and open the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Marinate and Roast
Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl. Apply the marinade on the steamed cauliflower using a brush or silicone spatula. You can also turn the cauliflower over to get any remaining marinade under the cauliflower. Then place the cauliflower back on the trivet with the stem down. Apply the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over the cauliflower.
Place the CrispLid on top of the Instant Pot and adjust the temperature to 400 degrees and cook time to 5 minutes. You can also roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: Raita
In a bowl, add finely grated cucumber, salt, grated garlic, ground cumin and cilantro. Add yogurt and mix well.
Place the cauliflower in a medium serving platter. Pour Raita ground the cauliflower. Garnish with cilantro, pistachios, pomegranates and pickled onions. Add lemon wedges to the side.
Cut into ½ inch steaks while serving.
You can use store bought pickled onions or relishes to garnish.
Here is my pickled onions recipe that can be made before hand using few basic ingredients:
- Boil 1 cup of red pearl onions in 2 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain the onions and rinse once
- In a small saucepan add ½ cup water, ½ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon black peppercorn, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds and bring it to a boil or until the sugar dissolves
- Place the drained onions in a jar or glass bowl. Pour the vinegar water over it. Allow it to come to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 1532mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg