Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Bisi bele bhath in instant pot
Bisi bele bhath is a spicy and flavor packed rice dish that is cooked with lentils, rice, lots of vegetables and aromatic spices!
- 1 cup rice
- 3/4 cup toor daal yellow pigeon peas
- 1 cup cauliflower florets cut into 1 inch florets
- 1 red potato cubed 1/2 inch
- 8-10 pieces drumsticks optional
- 1/2 cup green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 green pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8-10 curry leaves optional
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped for garnish
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste optional, more or less depending on how tangy it is
- 2 tbsp ghee coconut oil or any cooking oil for Vegan
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafetida powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- Spice blend:
- 4-6 dried red chilies I use mild Kashmiri chilies
- 2 heaping tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp chana daal
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut dried or fresh
Rinse rice and lentils and keep aside. Wash and chop all the vegetables.
Lightly roast all the spices from the spice blend. Let them cool completely and then grind to fine powder.
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté (more) mode and heat ghee. Add mustard seeds, asafetida and turmeric. Let the mustard seeds pot, may take 2 to 3 minutes. Add all the vegetables except the cilantro. Mix well.
Add salt, tamarind paste and spice blend powder. Mix well. Add rice and lentils and 6 cups of water. Close the Instant Pot lid with the pressure value set to sealing. Press the Rice button. Allow the pressure to release naturally, about 15 mins. Open the Instant pot and stir the bisi bele bhath lightly. Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee, tangy pickle and roasted papad.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 36mg | Potassium: 695mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3840IU | Vitamin C: 92.2mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 3.2mg