Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Easy Undhiyu - Instant Pot
Mixed vegetable casserole with a medley of veggies likes, purple yam, sweet and regular potatoes, green beans, eggplants cooked in earthy spices, ginger and chilies.
- 8 baby eggplants
- 1 medium Idaho potato ,peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato optional
- 1 cup Indian flat beans /frozen surti papdi
- 1 cup diced violet Indian yam /frozen ratalu
- ½ cup shelled indian flat beans /frozen surti papdi lilva
Eggplant Stuffing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup oil
- pinch asafetida /hing
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds /ajwain
- 1 teaspoon hot green chilies ,minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger ,grated
- 2 teaspoon garlic ,grated
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon ground peanuts
- 2 tablespoon shredded dry coconut lightly roasted
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup pre-cooked muthia
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped for garnish
Wash the baby eggplants and trim the stems to about 1/2 inch. Starting from the round globe end, cut the eggplants vertically, stopping before you cut into the stem. Make a second, perpendicular cut from the globe end toward the stem, again stopping before you cut into the stem.
In a small bowl, stir together the coconut, peanuts, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt. Stuff the eggplants by spooning about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the mixture into the slits. Reserve any remaining mixture (you may not use all of it). Reserve the eggplants.
Set Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil. Add hing and carom seeds, cook them for a minute or until aromatic.
Add potatoes, beans, purple yam and shelled beans. Add green chili, ginger and garlic and mix well. Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, ground peanuts, coconut, salt and sugar. Add water and layer the stuffed eggplants on top. Springle any remaining stuffing mixture on top. Do not mix.
Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing and cook on low pressure for 4 minutes. Press Cancel and quick release the pressure. Gently take the cooked eggplant out. Add muthia and cilantro and mix gently. Top with reserved eggplant and enjoy hot!
Calories: 507kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1842mg | Potassium: 2674mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 2085IU | Vitamin C: 194.7mg | Calcium: 475mg | Iron: 17.1mg