Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
- 1 cup rice sona masoori or other short grain white rice
- 3-1/4 cup water
- 3 cups yogurt full fat suggested
- 1/2 cup water to stir in along with yogurt
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt add more if required
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon hing optional
- 1 tablespoon urad daal optional
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ginger grated, optional
- 10 curry leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup grapes sliced
Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop, this make take 2 to 3 minutes. Add hing and urad daal. Cook for another minute as the daal turns golden brown. Turn the saute mode off and add green chilies, curry leaves and ginger. Stir for a minute and then take the tempering out in a bowl and reserve.
Rinse and drain the rice. Add rice and water to the Instant Pot insert. Close the lid with pressure release valve to sealing. Press the rice button and allow 10 minutes natural pressure release.
Open the Instant Pot and take the rice out in a serving bowl and allow the rice to cool down.
Once the rice is luke warm, mash it with the back of a spatula and then stir in yogurt, water and salt. Mix well. Stir in the reserved tempering and mix well. Enjoy warm with your choice of topping.
- To make yogurt rice creamier, substitute half of the water with milk.
- Urad Daal can be skipped or substituted with cashews.
- Curry leaves are not same as curry powder, so if you do not have curry leaves you can skip them.
- While you can add more green chilies for spicier dish, you can also skip them for a mild yogurt rice.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 869mg | Potassium: 369mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1940IU | Vitamin C: 38.7mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 0.7mg