Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Raspberry Trifle with Cardamom Saffron & Pistachios
A show stopper no-cook dessert to impress your guests
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 5.1 oz pack instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups raspberries around 1.25 pounds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pound angel food cake cut into 1 inch cubes
- 12 oz cool whip
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
Prepare the raspberries
In a medium bowl, add 2 cups of raspberries and sugar, mix well, mashing the raspberries with a fork.
Chop 10 to 12 raspberries and freeze them in a small container, these look beautiful as the garnish layer.
Make the Pudding
In a large mixing bowl, add 3 cups of milk and vanilla pudding mix. Whisk for 2 mins as the pudding thickens.
Stir in cardamom & saffron. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the trifle.
Assemble the Trifle
Arrange a layer of cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl.
Pour the raspberry sugar mix over the cake.
Spread half of the pudding over it.
Arrange second layer of cake on top of the pudding.
Line raspberries around the sides of the bowl over the cake layer.
Then fill the circle with a layer of raspberries.
Spread the remaining pudding over and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of pistachios in an even layer, starting with the edges of the bowl so you can see them from the outside of the bowl.
Arrange third layer of cake on top of it. Optionally you can add raspberries in the middle.
Next, spread cool whip on top.
Garnish with the frozen chopped raspberries and remaining pistachios. Keep refrigerated for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
Tips and Tricks for the most gorgeous Trifle
- Cut the angel food cake into 1 inch cubes with a serrated knife. Make sure to use the best and same sized pieces for the outermost circle touching the bowl
- Sort out the berries and save the bigger ones to line the outermost circle touching the bowl
- Sprinkle the pistachios starting the outer most circle so they slide down the layers making a visually stunning look with pops of green color
Trifle recipe variations:
- Use pound cake instead of angel food cake for a more rich buttery texture
- Add a few tablespoons of sherry in the mashed raspberries to add some booze
- Allergic to nuts? Skip layering pistachios or keep then in a small bowl for people to top them in individual bowls
- Want to make it for a smaller family? Assemble the trifle in small individual bowls
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 215mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 1mg