Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Cumin Rice | Jeera Rice
Fluffy long-grain rice with the buttery and nutty aroma of black cumin seeds sizzled in ghee, along with the mellow spice of whole cloves and green cardamom pods, makes this dish a perfect pairing for Indian curry, dal and cooling raita
Measure the rice into a wire-mesh strainer, then rinse under running water for 10 seconds, swishing it around. Repeat once more, then drain and set aside.
Select the high Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and heat the ghee. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, and bay leaf and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and sauté until it is toasted, about 1 minute. Add the salt, pour in the water, and stir to combine. Scrape down the sides of the pot to make sure all the rice is submerged in the water.
Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 5 minutes at low pressure.
Perform a quick release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting. Open the pot and, wearing heat-resistant mitts, lift out the inner pot; this will help prevent the rice from overcooking. Gently fluff with a fork or silicone spatula.
Use a rice paddle to scoop the rice out of the pot and transfer to a platter, then serve.
- If you have time to soak the rice, go ahead and soak for 20 mins and then use 1:1 rice to water ratio.
- I usually do not presoak the rice for this recipe. For upto 1.5 cups of rice, I use a 1:2 rice-to-water ratio and cook on low pressure for 5 minutes with a quick release
- For 2 cups of rice or more 1:1 rice-to-water ratio works well
- Once the pressure cooking completes, transfer the inner pot to a trivet on your counter to stop further cooking and to prevent the rice from getting mushy
- Allow the rice to cool a bit and then gently fluff up with a fork or silicone spatula
Substitute neutral vegetable oil or coconut oil for the ghee
Be sure to pick out and discard the whole spices while you eat
Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 886mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg