Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Pin Recipe Save
Fig Walnut Halwa
Buttery and dense pudding, with natural sweetness and texture of fig coupled with the buttery bite of wholesome walnuts
Combine the figs and water in the Instant Pot.
Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Select the Pressure Cook
or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 5 minutes at high pressure.
Perform a quick release by moving the Pressure Release to Venting. Open the pot and coarsely mash the figs with a potato masher or wooden spatula. Add the walnuts, pistachios, ghee, and cardamom and stir together. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the low Sauté setting and cook the halwa, stirring frequently, until it thickens to a pudding-like consistency, about 10 minutes. Press the Cancel button to turn off the Instant Pot.
Spoon the halwa into bowls and serve.
Stove Top Recipe:
- Make sure the figs are not too old or dry. Add more water if they look too dry
- You can quick release after the pressure cooking cycle completes or allow natural pressure release. This recipe is very forgiving
- Add a mix of light and dark figs
- Use homemade ghee for authentic flavor and aromas
- Add chopped figs and 2 cups of water to a heavy-bottomed pot
- Cook partially covered on medium heat for 20 to 25 mins or until most of the water is evaporated and figs and super soft and mushy.
- Mash the figs and then add the remaining ingredients and cook on low-medium for 5 to 10 mins
Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 527mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 2mg