Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Vegetable Manchurian - Instant Pot
Vegetable meatballs simmered in a spicy and tangy soya-ginger-garlic based sauce served over fried rice or noodles
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
- 16 IKEA veggie balls frozen
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon vinegar I used chili vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot powder or corn flour mixed in 1/4 cup of water
- red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon scallions sliced
Turn Instant Pot to saute(more) mode and heat oil. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Add red chili flakes, frozen veggie balls and broth. Give a quick stir.
Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual (Hi) for 4 minutes followed by Quick Release. Open the lid and set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add soy sauce, chili vinegar and sugar. Add arrowroot (or corn) slurry.
Mix well and cook until the sauce comes to a gentle boil. Add more red chili flakes for spicier taste. Garnish with cilantro and scallions. Enjoy hot over fried rice or noodles!
- Make sure to add frozen meatballs as thawed meatballs will fall apart during pressure cooking. If you have meatballs that are already thawed, then simply pressure cook the sauce and then stir in the meatballs after and cook on saute mode for 5 mins.
- I like to use the low sodium Better than Bouillon Vegetable Broth in this recipe. Vegetable Broth can be substituted with 2 cups of water and 1.5 teaspoon of salt
- In addition to the IKEA Veggie balls, I have also tried this recipe with Trader's Joe's veggie balls. Some of my readers also have enjoyed this dish with frozen chicken meatballs
- If doubling the recipe use same pressure cook time
- For gluten free Manchurian, use Tamari instead of soy sauce
Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1.5mg