Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Chicken Coriander Soup - Instant Pot
A flavorful and healthy soup with chicken, lots of fresh cilantro, cabbage and carrots packed with nutrients.
- 2 tablespoon oil divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 3-6 green chillies or 1-3 jalapeño sliced
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger divided
- 1 cup cilantro stems roughly chopped
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup low sodium chicken broth we used better than bouillon
- 1 cup cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots julienned
- 3 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot powder mixed in 1 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper optional
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode and heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic, green chilies, 1 tablespoon ginger and cilantro stems. Mix well.
Add chicken breasts, black peppercorn, salt, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of broth. Give a quick stir and close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing.
Set Instant Pot on Manual(Hi) for 10 minutes followed by Natural Pressure Release.
Open Instant Pot and take the chicken breasts out. Shred the chicken with a fork and keep aside.
Take a large bowl and strain the broth. Squeeze out any juices by gently pressing the stems in the strainer. Discard the stems from the strainer. Reserve the broth.
Rinse and dry the Instant Pot insert. Put the insert back and set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Add the remaining oil,cabbage, carrots and remaining ginger. Mix well.
Add shredded chicken, reserved broth and corn starch water.
Mix well and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Turn Instant Pot off. Add fresh ground pepper, lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Skip the chicken all together and follow the remaining recipe to make a perfect vegan soup. Just replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. If you can find enoki mushroom, they add a great crunch too.
- Adjust the corn starch or arrowroot powder, to the textures you prefer.
- Adjust green chilies and fresh ginger to take the spice level up or down.
- Go ahead and double up on cilantro if you have extra.
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 783mg | Potassium: 468mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3945IU | Vitamin C: 23.7mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 0.6mg