Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Pin Recipe Save
Kheema Pav - Instant Pot
Kheema Pav - A popular street food in India, Kheema Pav is a tantalizing curry dish made with minced chicken or lamb cooked with onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and earthy spices!
Turn Instant Pot to sauté(more) mode and heat oil. Add cumin seeds and toast them for 30 seconds. Add turmeric powder and mix well. Add ginger and garlic, mix well.
Add onion and sauté for a minute. Cook covered for 2 minutes with a glass lid on.
Add tomatoes, red chili powder, garam masala, salt and ground coriander . Mix well.
Add ground chicken and breaking it with a spatula. Add ½cup of water (You can add 2 tablespoons of water for a thicker curry, but I like the extra gravy to dip the bread).
Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook on for 4 minutes followed by Natural Pressure Release.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with potato rolls or burger buns lightly toasted with some ghee on a griddle.
- Add ½ cup of green peas to the curry just before pressure cooking.
- Add a peeled and diced potato and sauté it with the onions. This will give more thickness to the curry.
- Add 1-2 spicy green chilies or one diced jalapeño for spicier kheema.
- Substitute ground chicken with ground lamb, turkey, or beef and follow the same recipe.
- Serve as a chili topped with diced red onions, jalapeños, corn, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime for a gluten-free option.
- When buying the rolls or buns to be served with Kheema, check the Sugar contents on the pack. As long as sugar is 2% or less the bread does not taste overly sweet and works well with Indian curries.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 671mg | Potassium: 766mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 720IU | Vitamin C: 10.3mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1.9mg