Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Penne Alla Vodka
Italian classic pasta dish made in a creamy tomato, garlic, vodka sauce
- 1 LB pasta I used Trader Joe’s organic brown rice penne pasta
- 28 oz tomato puree or marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil.
Add onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes with a glass lid on.
Add vodka, mix well and cook for another 2 mins to reduce down the vodka.
Add pasta, 2 cups of water and salt. Stir well, making sure to push most of the pasta under the liquids. Layer over the tomato puree or sauce and DO NOT mix. Close the Instant Pot and Manual/pressure cook for 4 minutes (Note, the cook time on Trader Joe’s brown rice pasta is 7-10 mins) followed by Quick Release.
Stir in cream. Add parsley and grated cheese. Mix well and Serve hot.
- Add enough water/broth/tomato sauce so that most of the pasta is under the liquids
- Layer the tomato puree or pasta sauce on top of the water or broth and do not mix it in
- For a well cooked pasta, pressure cook pasta for half the time on the pasta box
- For Al dente pasta, pressure cook for half the time on the pasta box minus 1 minute
- Always add cream after the pasta is done pressure cooking
- Quick releasing after pressure cooking will avoid overcooking the pasta
Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 553mg | Potassium: 654mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1310IU | Vitamin C: 19.6mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 3.6mg