Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Mom's Garam Masala
A family recipe of a a complex spice blend that used in traditional Indian home cooking using nineteen aromatic and warm spices.
Servings: 12 oz
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 5 pieces -whole turmeric - halkund
- 1/2 nutmeg - jaiphal
- 1 tablespoon asafetida - hing
- 5 cinnamon sticks - daalchini
- 3 tablespoon cloves - lavang
- 1.5 tablespoon black cumin seeds - shah jeera
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds - jeera
- 10 - black cardamom - badi velchi
- 1 tablespoon cardamom - velchi
- 3 tablespoon kalpasi - dagadphool stone flower
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds - badishep
- 2 tablespoon Mace - jaipatri
- 3 tablespoon black pepper - mire
- 10 star anise - badyan
- 8 bay leaves - tamal patra
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds - dhane
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds - methya
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds - khuskhus
- 25 - dried red chillies - mirchi
Add 1/2 tsp of oil at a time and slow roast each spice until it releases the aroma and is hot to touch. Allow all the roasted spiced to cool on a large tray.
Grind the roasted spices in batches to make a fine powder.
Sift the ground spice blend and grind any coarse spices.
Store in an airtight glass jar.