Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Mango Shrikhand - A Cool and lush Mango Yogurt dessert
A cool and lush mango flavored dessert made with creamy yogurt and sweet mangoes, garnished with aromatic saffron.
- 2 pounds regular plain yogurt Full fat Desi Yogurt or Stoneyfield brand
- 1-1/2 cup mango pulp Ratna or Deep Alphonso Mango Tin
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
Line a large bowl with a double layer of cheesecloth. Pour the yogurt onto the cheesecloth, gather the corners of the cloth and tie into a bundle. Hang the cheese cloth so all the water can drain out (5-6 hours) or put some weight on the cloth and leave it overnight in the refrigerator, in a colander, so the water can completely drain out.
Empty thickened yogurt into a bowl. Mix well with a slotted spoon or whisk for 5 minutes until it is smooth. Stir in sugar and mix well for another 5 mins.
Add mango pulp and mix well until it gets smooth and creamy consistency (5 mins). Garnish with saffron strands. Chill for an hour before serving. Serve with hot Puris.
- Don't have the canned mango pulp? Feel free to skip it and instead substitute with a teaspoon of ground cardamon to make the classic Kesar Elaichi Shrikhand
- Have Greek yogurt on hand? Skip the yogurt straining step and make Instant Shrikhand by using the Greek Yogurt in this recipe.
- Try other flavors of Shrikhand, my mom often makes Strawberry Shrikand, by substituting mango pulp with crushed strawberries
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 74mg | Potassium: 234mg | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 3.5mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 2.6mg