Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Stuffed baby eggplant in Instant pot
Stuffed baby eggplant made in instant pot with the authentic gravy made in onion, coconut, ginger, garlic, chili powder, turmeric and garam masala!
- 6-8 small baby eggplants
- 1 medium onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon jaggery/brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- cilantro to garnish
Wash and trim extra stem from the baby eggplants leaving about half an inch of the stem. Make 2 vertical cross slits going almost the end.
Stuffing – Mix grated onion, ginger, garlic, red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, ground cumin, fresh coconut, brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Mix all the stuffing ingredients well and stuff them in the eggplants.
Turn the instant pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to start popping. Carefully add all the stuffed eggplants to the instant pot. Layer any remaining stuffing on top. Add half a cup of water.
Close the lid with the pressure value set to sealing. Set for Pressure Cook/Manual for 4 mins on low pressure followed by a quick release of pressure. Garnish with cilantro.
- The eggplant I used were about 2 inch long and 1-1/2 inch thick excluding the stem. If your eggplants are bigger you may want to change the Manual setting to 5 mins. It is better to set it for a lesser time to avoid overcooking.
- If the eggplant seem undercooked, simply cook them on saute mode for 3 to 4 minutes with a glass lid on or keep the Instant Pot closed. They eggplant will continue to cook with remnant heat.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 608mg | Potassium: 1626mg | Fiber: 21g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Vitamin C: 17.8mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg