Please click on the stars in the recipe card below
Tandoori chicken wings
Spicy tandoori chicken wings that are grilled to perfection with yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, and turmeric.
Trim as much skin off of the wings as possible. I use kitchen sheers for this.
Combine all ingredients (except cilantro) in a bowl and marinate wings for at least 1 hour or longer.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line up wings on a greased grilling rack. Place the rack on top of the baking tray to catch all the drippings.
Bake the wings for about 20-25 mins (in a convection oven) or up to 40 mins otherwise. Wings can also be cooked on a preheated outdoor grill.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Tips for making the best Tandoori Chicken Wings:
- I like Bell Evan's wings that are already cut in half. If you have whole wings make sure to cut them into half (wingettes and drumettes) and discard the tips.
- Add more or less garam masala and red chili powder depending on how spicy you like them.
- Use plain full-fat yogurt for the marinade
- Pat dry the chicken wings to avoid extra liquids in the marinade
- Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours
- Discard any leftover marinade or brush on the chicken before cooking
- Homemade garam masala brings out the authentic flavors
- Any mild red chili powder can be substituted for Kashmiri red chili powder
- Fenugreek leaves are optional but add wonderful flavor and aroma
- Depending on the size of the wingettes and drumettes you may need to adjust the cooking time. I like to use a digital thermometer to make sure that the internal temperature of the thickest part is at least 165°F (75°C)
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 940IU | Vitamin C: 3.9mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1.4mg