Daal Dhokli or Chakolya is a popular, one-pot meal from the Indian states of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Savory whole wheat noodles cooked in sweet, spicy and tangy lentil stew makes Daal Dhokli an ultimate comfort food!
This mind-bogglingly delicious and wholesome recipe has complex flavors from tamarind and jaggery, soft melt in the mouth textures from the homemade wheat noodles and the nutty flavors from mustard seeds, cumin, and peanuts!
After over indulging from a vacation or while recovering from an illness, this easy daal dhokli recipe can make a good detox meal!
Here is our attempt to make this two-step recipe in the Instant Pot. If you have cooked daal and have kneaded dough, this recipe is a must try. Traditionally the daal for this dish is made using Toor Daal or yellow pigeon peas but can also be made using mung daal or masoor daal.
Few options FOR this daal Dhokli recipe:
- Substitute any cooking oil instead of ghee to make this a Vegan Daal Dhokli.
- Add 4 cloves and 1 cinnamon stick with the lentils to add warm flavors and aroma.
- Stir in 2-3 big handful of chopped spinach just before adding the dhokli.
Thanks to Mom, without whom I would have been skeptical making and sharing this recipe and video. She makes cooking seamless and pleasurable. Here is my Mom, making the mouth-watering Daal Dhokli in Instant Pot:
- Part I: Daal
- 4 tablespoon ghee, divided (or 2 tablespoons of cooking oil)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- ½ cup toor daal, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Part II: Dhokli
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1 cup of water or as needed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add 2 tablespoons of ghee or cooking oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add cumin seeds, asafetida and curry leaves. Add turmeric, ginger, and garlic. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder, jaggery, tamarind paste, salt, peanuts and toor daal. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water, give a quick stir and close Instant Pot with the Pressure valve set to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 8 mins followed by Natural Pressure Release.
- While the Daal is cooking, make the dough by mixing 2 cups of whole wheat flour, chickpea flour, salt, carom seeds, red chili powder, turmeric and half tablespoon of oil. Use water as needed to make a firm yet pliable dough. I used little more than ¾th cup of water. Add remaining oil and knead the dough well. Make 5 balls from the dough. Using the extra whole wheat flour, roll the dough balls into 10-12 inch thin circles. Using a pizza cutter, cut each rolled tortilla into 1-inch squares or dhoklis. Put the cut dough pieces on a platter. Sprinkle a little bit of dry flour before layering the pieces on a tray to avoid them from sticking to each other.
- Open Instant Pot after the pressure has released naturally. Turn Instant pot to saute mode and using an immersion blender, gently blend the daal for 5 seconds. Add 3 cups of water, mix well, cook covered with a glass lid and bring the daal to a gentle boil.
- Add half of the dough squares to the daal and mix gently. Add remaining half dough squares, mix again. Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 2 minutes followed by Quick Release. Mix the Daal Dhokli, add another tablespoon or two of ghee (recommended but optional) and garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy Piping hot!
- You can add 4 cloves and 1 stick of cinnamon to the daal for more warm flavors.
- Add 2-3 handful of chopped spinach in the daal before adding the dhoklis and stir well.