Mushroom Masala is a versatile dish that packs in a burst of flavors from earthy mushrooms, tart tomatoes, and aromatic spices. The intense flavors are balanced with easy homemade cashew cream. Ready in under 20 minutes and savory to the last bite, this curry is sure to win you the master chef crown at your next party.
As a food enthusiast, I cook and entertain a lot, and I often have guests who prefer vegetarian food. I am always looking for vegetarian options that can stand up to my signature Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala. Everybody loves my vegetarian mushroom masala, and it completes my dinner spread.
This mushroom curry uses the same base ingredients as my popular Dum Aloo recipe. I add mild-tasting white button mushrooms, rich in Vitamin B, which intensify their flavors after cooking in the rich sauce.
I am excited to share this Indian mushroom recipe, and add it to my list of 60+ vegetarian main meals.
Why we love this Mushroom Masala
- Ready in under 20 minutes
- No-Fail Recipe
- Easy to make Vegan
- Naturally Gluten-Free
- Easy to make nut-free, simply substitute cashew cream with coconut cream or heavy cream
- Variations - stir in green peas to make Mushroom Mutter Masala or add some spinach to make Mushroom Palak Masala
Health Benefits of Mushrooms:
- All edible Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins and powerful antioxidants that helps support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues
- White button mushrooms are one of the few non-animal sources of vitamin D
- Mushrooms can help to lower cholesterol, protect the heart by maintaining healthy blood pressure and circulation
Growing up in India, Mushroom masala was a treat we enjoyed only at restaurants since mushrooms were not as readily available in markets. I guess that made the dish special, and I always dreamt of perfecting it in my own kitchen.
Making mushroom masala in the Instant pot is such a hassle-free job that it has now become a weeknight staple. My boys enjoy mushroom masala with piping hot parathas, and they polish off big portions at mealtime. I prefer to buy the big pack of fresh white cello mushrooms available at Costco. Substitute the white mushrooms with the Baby Bella, Shitake, or Cremini mushrooms, since they work well with this recipe.
How to make Mushroom Masala:
Step 1: Make Cashew Cream
- Soak cashews in ½ cup warm water for 10 mins and set aside.
- Drain all the water and blend the cashews with ¼ cup of water to make smooth paste and reserve.
Step 2: Sauté spices and veggies
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add ghee (or neutral oil for vegan version). Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with a glass lid on, stirring a few times.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds. Turn the Instant Pot off, and stir in tomato puree along with turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, salt.
- Finally, add the mushrooms mixing well, and then deglaze the pot to remove any browning on the bottom.
- Close the Instant Pot, set on manual/pressure cook(Hi) for 4 minutes followed by Quick Release.
Note: To cook this recipe on the stovetop, follow the recipe using a medium-sized pot. Instead of pressure cooking simply add an extra ½ cup of water along with the mushrooms and then cook covered on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
Step 3: Garnish
- Stir in dried fenugreek leaves, cashew paste and chopped cilantro.
Love Indian food? Here are some of our staple vegetarian curries :
- Palak paneer
- Aloo gobi
- Bharwa bhindi
- Vegetable kurma
- Baingan bharta
- Tindora curry
- Black eyed peas curry
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 pound white mushrooms rinsed, dried and sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee or neutral oil for vegan version
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- ¾ cup tomato puree or 2 fresh ripe red tomatoes pureed
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ to 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chili powder or any other mild red chili powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- cilantro leaves chopped for garnish
- Soak cashews in ½ cup warm water for 10 minutes and set aside. Drain all the water and blend the cashews with ¼ cup of water to make smooth paste and reserve.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat add ghee. Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with a glass lid on, stirring a few times. Add ginger and garlic paste, cook for 30 seconds. Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala salt, and mushrooms. Mix well, deglazing the pot to remove any browning on the bottom of the pot. Close the Instant Pot, and pressure cook(Hi) for 4 minutes followed by Quick Release.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot or skillet.
- Add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with a lid on, stirring a few times. Add ginger and garlic paste, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala salt, mushrooms, and ½ cup of water. Mix well.
- Cook covered on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.