Tall TrivetChicken Teriyaki – A simple and super easy recipe that I developed over the years to satisfy the ‘mall food court Teriyaki’ cravings of my older son.
This quick and easy chicken teriyaki does not use some of the authentic ingredients like Sake but it is so fresh and delicious that you will not miss it. Plus you do not have to worry about the hard-to-find ingredients. It comes in handy on those crazy-busy weeknights as it uses very few ingredients with long shelf life and can be stores in your pantry.
When I first started to make this dish, it was a stove top recipe. I would broiled the chicken after it was cooked to get the charred edges. At some point I stopped the broiling with the usual time-crunch and it still made a flavorful and satisfying meal.
The home made Teriyaki sauce is pretty simple recipe with soy sauce and mirin. To make it more flavorful and fresh, I always add fresh ginger and garlic in it. The hint of sweetness comes from the honey and we love that sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper in it. You can always adjust the flavors of the Teriyaki sauce to your likings, some days we stir in red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
A couple of months ago, just like all other recipes I decided to make this in the Instant Pot and now this is our go-to chicken Teriyaki. I love how perfectly chicken cooks in the Instant Pot and I do not have to worry about the site and thickness of the pieces. I also make steamed rice pot in pot along with the chicken and just like that, we have out dinner ready in no time!
Optional Steps for Chicken Teriyaki:
- Brown the chicken on one or both sides or completely skip this step.
- Broil the cooked chicken in the oven for 5 minutes to get crispy/charred pieces.
- Natural Pressure release after 10 minutes or do a full natural pressure release.
- If you like “Sake” in your sauce, add it to the teriyaki sauce, and saute for the sauce for 2 minutes so the alcohol cooks off.
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil to the teriyaki sauce for more deep flavors.
Instant Pot accessories for Chicken Teriyaki with Pot in Pot Rice
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 3 tablespoon sweet rice wine mirin
- 3 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 cup short grain rice we love sushi rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional
- 3 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green scallions chopped
- Mix all the ingredients for Teriyaki sauce and set aside.
Mix corn starch in 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
Add rice and water in a stainless steel or pyrex bowl and set aside. You can add salt but we skip it with all the soy sauce.
Set the Instant Pot to saute(more) mode. Add 1 tablespoon oil and add chicken thighs. Brown the chicken for a minute (another optional step). Add the teriyaki sauce and black pepper.
Place a tall trivet over the chicken in the Instant Pot insert. Place the rice bowl over the trivet.
Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual /Pressure Cook(Hi) for 6 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot. Carefully take out the rice bowl and the trivet. Stir in corn starch mixed in water and set the Instant Pot to saute(more) mode.
- Cook for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens. Turn the Instant Pot off. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Enjoy hot with steamed rice.
You can also do a full natural pressure release for this recipe.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking