This simple and finger licking delicious recipe was developed over the years to satisfy the ‘Mall Food Court Chicken Teriyaki‘ cravings of my older son. A quick and tasty dish with few pantry ingredients and fresh ginger, this Instant Pot recipe has all of your favorite Asian flavors. Cooked with Pot in Pot rice, it is a perfect meal for busy weeknights that the whole family will devour.
When I first started to make this dish, it was a stove top recipe. I would broil the chicken after it was cooked to get the charred edges. At some point, I stopped the broiling with the usual time-crunch and it still made a flavorful and satisfying meal.
The homemade Teriyaki sauce is a pretty simple recipe with soy sauce and mirin. To make it more flavorful, I like to add fresh ginger and garlic to it. The hint of sweetness comes from the honey and we love a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper too. You can always adjust the flavors of the Teriyaki sauce to your likings, some days I stir in red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
Note: I do not use some of the authentic ingredients like Sake as it could be hard to find. But I promise that this Teriyaki Chicken tastes so fresh and delicious that you will not miss it.
A One Pot Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki Meal
A couple of months ago, similar to many of my other stovetop recipes, I decided to try this recipe in the Instant Pot. I love how perfectly the chicken cooks in the Instant Pot and I do not have to worry about the size or the thickness of the chicken pieces. I often make steamed rice with the pot in pot method so we have the whole meal ready in no time. So now, this has become our go-to chicken Teriyaki recipe.
EASY Step by step recipe to make the best Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
Step 1: Initial Prep
Mix all the ingredients for the Teriyaki sauce and set aside. Mix corn starch in 1/4 cup of water and set aside. Add rice and water in a stainless steel and set aside. You can add salt but I usually skip it as the Teriyaki chicken is nicely seasoned
Step 2: Sauté chicken & add ingredients
Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Place the chicken and brown the chicken for a minute. Flip the chicken over and turn the sauté mode off. (Note: Browning the chicken is an optional step and you can skip it). Pour over the teriyaki sauce and black pepper. Do not mix (Photos 1 – 2)
Step 3: Pot in Pot Rice (Optional Step)
Place a tall trivet over the chicken in the Instant Pot insert. Place the rice bowl over the trivet (photos 3 – 4)
Step 4: Pressure Cook
Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook (HI) for 6 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot and carefully take out the rice bowl and the trivet. Stir in corn starch mixed in water and set the Instant Pot to sauté (more) mode. Cook for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens. Turn the Instant Pot off, the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools down. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions (photos 5 – 8)
Optional Steps for Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki:
- Brown the chicken on one or both sides or simply skip this step
- Natural Pressure release after 10 minutes or do a full natural pressure release
- If you like “Sake” in your sauce, add it to the teriyaki sauce, and sauté for the sauce for 2 minutes so the alcohol cooks off
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil to the teriyaki sauce for deep earthy flavors
- After pressure cooking is done, broil the cooked chicken in the oven for 5 minutes to get crispy/charred pieces
Instant Pot accessories used
Easy, Tasty Chicken Teriyaki with fresh flavors from ginger and subtle sweetness from honey.★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Chicken Teriyaki – Instant Pot
- 3 tablespoon sweet rice wine mirin
- 3 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 cup short grain rice we love sushi or jasmine rice
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional
- 3 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup green scallions chopped
- Mix all the ingredients for Teriyaki sauce and set aside. Mix corn starch in 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
- Optional Step if you want to make Pot in Pot Rice – Add rice and water in a stainless steel bowl and set aside
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Place the chicken and brown the chicken for a minute. Flip the chicken over and turn the sauté mode off. (Note: Browning the chicken is an optional step and you can skip it). Pour over the teriyaki sauce and black pepper. Do not mix
- If making Pot in Pot Rice – Place a tall trivet over the chicken in the Instant Pot insert. Place the rice bowl over the trivet
- Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook (HI) for 6 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release
- Open the Instant Pot. Carefully take out the rice bowl and the trivet. Stir in corn starch mixed in water and set the Instant Pot to saute mode
- Cook for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens. Turn the Instant Pot off. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Enjoy hot with steamed rice.
- You can also do a full natural pressure release for this recipe
- Chicken Thighs can be substituted with chicken breasts with same cook time
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking