Did you know that Overnight Oats are not only delicious AND uber nutritious but are also problem solvers extraordinaire?! Crazy busy mornings, picky eaters, trying to stay on track with a healthy diet, energy slump by mid-morning, poor food choices early in the day leading to poor food choices later on? The answer is…. Overnight Oats.
These pretty little jars are filled with good-for-you ingredients (rolled oats, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and almond milk) and relieve the stress of “what’s for breakfast?” Especially on weekday mornings!
Meal Prep Recipe
This and mango chia pudding is by far our favorite meal prep practice and we always make sure to have full jars in the fridge. This super easy recipe takes only minutes to prepare and saves SO MUCH TIME. My boys even take turns making a batch for the family.
Healthy Homemade Breakfast
A healthy breakfast goes a long way. The perfect combination of heart-healthy carbs, fiber, plant-based protein, and Omega-3 fatty acids keep us FUELED AND FULL. Overnight Oats are a portable grab-and-go meal so there’s no need to reach for processed or prepackaged foods….often full of sugar. Refined carbs and too much sugar lead to energy crashes and often more sugary snacks for a quick pick-me-up later. When we start the day off right----it helps us keep going in that direction!
- Rolled Oats are one of the best sources of soluble fiber which can lower blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol. They are naturally gluten-free and absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, B vitamins in particular.
- Chia Seeds are a good source of calcium and plant-based protein. They also contain very important Omega-3 fatty acids that are linked to reducing inflammation in the body and promoting heart health. The soluble fiber in soaked chia seeds can help lower cholesterol and control blood sugar spikes.
- Hemp Hearts are the seeds of the hemp plant and have a mildly nutty flavor. They are an excellent source of plant-based protein and dietary fiber, as well as, Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. They’re also packed with a variety of vitamins and minerals. And add a nice texture to smoothies, yogurt parfaits, and overnight oats.
- Almond Milk is low in calories and high in Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant. It’s also dairy-free and vegan. You can also use Oat milk.
Why this recipe works
- Choose your own (Oat) Adventure!
I’ve given you our basic recipe and the rest is about what YOU like. Overnight Oats are so versatile they can accommodate most diets. Unsweetened plain almond milk, used in this recipe, is low-calorie, full of protein, and pretty flavor-neutral. But the type of milk is up to you! Cashew, coconut, hemp, whole, low-fat, skim, or oat milk…...they all work too!
2. To add yogurt or not?
Many recipes for overnight oats call for equal parts oats, milk, and yogurt. We make ours without yogurt but feel free to sub half of the milk with greek yogurt for a thicker texture and added protein! You can also add a dollop of yogurt on top in the morning with your other toppings.
3. It’s all about the Toppings!
This is where you can pack in extra vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and some fun flavors! We love our oats topped with colorful fresh berries and unsweetened coconut. But there are SO MANY possibilities. You can change it up every day and not get tired of this awesome breakfast! Kids love picking their own toppings and something made just for them feels special.
Here is how you make the overnight oats. Add all oats, chia seeds, and hemp hearts to the glass jars. Add milk and close the jars. Shake them so everything is mixed well. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve add peanut butter and your favorite fruit and nut toppings.
Bonus: We LOVE that these reusable glass jars cut down on plastic waste.
More Ways to Enjoy Overnight Oats
- Having Overnight Oats in the fridge means even on weekends the hungry early risers can serve themselves a perfectly portioned jar to hold them over until everyone gathers for a big breakfast or brunch.
- These versatile overnight oats can be thrown in a cooler before heading to the kids’ games.
- Include these beautifully layered jars on our Breakfast Charcuterie Board and become an entertaining legend!
- Use smaller jars and make these Overnight Oats part of a brunch buffet table for a fabulous party. Thinking Bridal Showers, Holidays, you name it!
More Breakfast Recipes
Did you enjoy this quick and healthy breakfast? Here are some more of our favorite savory breakfast ideas that can be made ahead.
- Poha - gluten-free dish made with flattened rice seasoned with onions, potatoes, and warming spices
- Upma - semolina cooked with veggies, nuts, and warm spices
- Savory Vegan French Toast - delicious masala toast made with protein-packed gram flour and spiced with onions, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and chilies
- Anda Bhurji - eggs cooked in a tasty masala made with onions, scallions, hot chili peppers, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and warming spices
Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds
- 6 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons hemp hearts
- ⅔ cup milk almond, oat or regular milk
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- Berries sliced
- Bananas sliced
- sliced almonds
- Unsweetened coconut
- To make individual servings, take two 6 or 8-ounce jars. Add 3 tablespoons of rolled oats, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon hemp hearts and ⅓ cup of milk in each jar.
- Close the lids and shake the jars so the ingredients are mixed in. refrigerate them covered for at least 2 hours or overnight. The jars can be refrigerated for up to 5 days, although they taste the best when served within 2 days.
- When ready to serve, give a quick stir to the oats. Add your favorite toppings like a tablespoon of peanut butter or a swirl of maple syrup or honey for sweetness.
- Add your favorite seasonal fruit. Almonds and coconut add a nutty flavor and bite to the oats. Enjoy right out of the jar.
- Adjust the amount of rolled oats to milk to your desired consistency. This recipe makes overnight oats that are not overly thick allowing you to enjoy the oats the next morning without having to add more liquids
- You can make the whole batch in one large bowl and then serve in smaller individual bowls
Love the recipe. Where did you buy these jars from?
They are from amazon and I have them linked on the recipe card.
Hi, i am looking for a warmer version. Can you warm this and does this affect the taste.
Yes absolutely! Pop it in the microwave before adding the nut butter, fruits and other toppings and you have a warm version.
Can we heat this in morning . Don’t want to eat chilled breakfast in the morning.
Yes! You can reheat this in the microwave before adding the toppings.
Roopa Gandhi says
Initially messed it up by putting both the bottles contents in 1 bottle but corrected it next morning by dividing. Added Prabhu butter, sliced almonds and shredded coconut. Yummm!!
Thanks for a great recipe and suggestions for the bottles. I am using them for overnight oats and making yogurt at home.
Thank you Roopa.
Anuradha Dutta says
Looks great! Where are the jars from?
Thank you! Jars are from amazon and I have linked them on the recipe card.
This is our go-to breakfast. So good and tasty and keeps me full all morning.
Thank you for the feedback Stacy!
Love this recipe for meal prepping my breakfast for the week!! Sometimes I will add extra protein too, usually hemp seeds. So yum!
Hi Archana. Can I add flax seed instead of hemp
I LOVE this recipe! ❤️
So easy! So delicious! So versatile! I just mix all the ingredients in a covered bowl overnight, and divide into two servings in the morning.
I love that it uses so few oats, great for people who can only tolerate them on a small scale.
Sometimes I’ll add a couple sliced dried strawberries into the mix. My favourite topping are: some thawed berries, chopped walnuts, a diced apricot, some more hemp hearts, unsweetened coconut and a large splash of almond milk. Yum. SO yum!
Ohhh, I forgot to mention: I heat the oats then add my toppings (using microwave “reheat” function or about 1.5 minutes). Thanks for posting this recipe, you’ve improved my mornings!
Yes, warming the overnight oats before adding the toppings is such a great idea for everyone who enjoys warm breakfast.