Banana Avocado Chaat – Today’s inspiration comes from a delicious Indian restaurant, Rasika, that we dined at during a recent family trip to Washington DC.
I can’t thank my cousin Darshan enough for his recommendation. The food, the atmosphere and the Chef’s humble and friendly attitude were inspirational. The drinks and appetizers were so unique compared the Indian dishes we’re use to while dining out.
One dish that resonated with all of us was the banana chat which was an incredible blend of sweet, tangy and spicy flavors. We would have never tried it if it was not recommended. While we all love to experiment with food we generally don’t like bananas in any form mixed into our meals.
When the appetizers arrived we were surprised to see the bananas grilled and perfectly stacked on the sides. With hesitation we took one bite and we were hooked. My husband and I couldn’t stop digging into the amazing flavors! With a few bites remaining, I took a snap so I could recreate it as soon as we got back.
Here is my attempt to made the banana avocado chaat as inspired from restaurant Rasika in Washington D.C.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
A delicious and unique appetizer with avocados spiced with red chili powder and sweet and tangy tamarind chutney.
- 1 Avocado ripe
- 1 Banana Ripe but Firm
- 2 tablespoon tamarind chutney
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- Peel the banana and cut it half lengthwise and then cut the 2 halves in the middle to make 4 pieces. Put grilling pan on medium high heat, brush the bananas with olive oil and grill the banana's until they turn golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on it.
- Peel and cut the avocado into bite size pieces. Add tamarind chutney, salt and cumin powder to it and mix well.
Dish the avocados in the middle of a plate. Put the grilled bananas on the sides. Sprinkle with some red chili powder. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!
Looking for more delicious and healthy appetizer recipes? Check out some of our favorites:
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.