Colorful vegan beet salad with crunchy celery, peppers, and grape tomatoes topped with a delicious balsamic dressing and garnished with sesame seeds. This beet salad is literally a celebration in a bow!
For my birthday this year, a good friend of mine gave me an amazing book 'Share' - A cookbook that celebrates our common humanity by Women for Women International (WFWI).
The underlying message of Share is simple: for all our apparent diversity―as individuals, societies, and nations―our actions, however small, can have an exponential, positive influence both on the world and the lives of others. Nothing more beautifully conveys our interdependence than the food we eat. The recipes featured in this uplifting book―provided by contributors who are all actively engaged in humanitarian issues, as well as women from the eight countries in which Women for Women International (WfWI) work.
I am in love with the illustrations in this book. The night I received this book, I was up past midnight going through it. One recipe that caught my eye right away, was a beet salad recipe by Zainab Salbi, founder of women for women international. I love beets and they had many ingredients that I use every day.
Last weekend I finally decided to make this recipe. As I was making it, I wasn't sure how it would come together. However, when I tasted it, the flavors were out of this world! The flavors of sesame seeds, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and fresh ginger along with all the chopped veggies were heavenly. This probably is one of my most favorite salads and I am going to make this again and again.
I made some changes to the original recipe:
- Instead of using raw beets, I used roasted beets
- Substituted carrots with fresh orange pepper that is now in season
- Added grape tomatoes
I followed the rest of the recipe and it indeed was a celebration of colors and taste on my plate and my mouth!
My dear friend, Tulika Bhatia, thank you for this priceless gift that I will always treasure!
Here is the recipe for beet salad that is full of surprises, it is colorful, beautiful and healthy!
- 4 small roasted beets
- 1 medium orange bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 avocado
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated
- 1 table spoon of sesame seeds I toasted them lightly
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the roasted beets, celery and orange bell pepper into small, even half inch cubes. Place in a salad bowl. Add cherry tomatoes.
- Peel and pit the avocado and cut the flesh into cubes. Add to the bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Add the ginger, sesame seeds, and cilantro. Pour it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season, gently mix, and serve.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.