Eggplant and red pepper spread is a piquant ratatouille of soft cooked eggplant, red peppers and tomatoes with a perfect balance of spicy-tangy flavors and a hint of sweetness.
The bright flavors of this spread reminds me of the Indian Baingan Bharta, the Italian Caponata and the Mediterranean Ajvar. This piquant dish captures the complex flavors of many cuisines and is yet so easy to make.
For years, I have made this spread by first roasting the eggplant, peppers and tomatoes in the oven and then finishing it on the stove top with the remaining ingredients. Although, this 2 step process worked well, it is a bit time consuming, needing multiple pots, trays, etc. Plus, heating up the entire kitchen with the oven especially in the summer months is not desirable at all.
So, last year I decided to give this recipe a try in my Instant Pot. I love the Sauté function to ‘roast’ the eggplant and red peppers to add just the right amount of smokey flavors.
A splash of white wine vinegar brightens the flavors of the roasted veggies while helping deglaze the pot and loosing any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and pressure cook to seal in the flavors and nutrition.
Finish of the dish with a generous garnish of toasted pine nuts and fresh basil. This deliciously tasting eggplant and red pepper spread is ready in just 20 minutes! Serve as an appetizer with toasty baguette or stir-in with hot pasta, this dish is sure to impress your guests and even the pickiest child will ask for seconds.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Eggplant and red pepper spread - a piquant ratatouille of soft cooked eggplant, red peppers and tomatoes with a perfect balance of spicy-tangy flavors and a hint of sweetness.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 cups Italian eggplant cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup red pepper diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup onions finely diced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup water
- 1/4 cup basil chopped
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts toasted
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mod and heat oil. Add eggplant and peppers. Cook for 5 mins, stirring few times, until the eggplant start to become golden brown. Cover with a glass lid to speed up the process.
Add white wine vinegar and deglaze the pot to loosen up any browned bit stuck to teh bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Add ¼ cup of water. Close the Instant Pot with pressure value to sealing. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook(Hi) for 4 mins followed by Quick Release.
- Open the Instant Pot and mash the spread with a spatula. Garnish with basil and pine nuts. Serve with toasted baguette or pita chips
Note: This spread also tastes great over a bowl of pasta with olive oil or butter.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.