The goodness of an enchilada with a healthy addition of quinoa, cooked in one pot for a quick meal or a relaxed weekend dinner on the couch. This Chicken Enchilada Quinoa is packed with all our favorite Mexican flavors and topped with melty cheese.
For some of you who may not have tried quinoa, this is a great recipe to try. It is flavorful and quinoa incorporates so well with all the other ingredients. Pronounced as “Keen-Wah”, quinoa is a seed and not a grain. Quinoa is a whole protein with all of the nine essential amino acids. Additionally, it is naturally gluten-free and a great source of protein for vegetarians.
What is Chicken Enchilada Quinoa?
- Classic enchiladas with a twist!
- This Chicken Enchilada Quinoa recipe uses quinoa instead of the traditional tortillas.
- Rather than layering or rolling the delicious fillings inside the tortillas, this is a faster one-pot dump-and-ready version similar to a casserole.
- In addition, packed in this meal are all of the spicy Mexican flavors, and is also very healthy and nutritious.
Quinoa is commonly sold in three colors – white/ivory, red and black. I prefer organic white/ivory quinoa which gives a fluffy post-cook texture. I like the Kirkland brand organic quinoa sold at Costco.
Note: White quinoa can have a slightly muted, bitter taste. Rinse the quinoa 2 to 3 times and drain well to remove the slightly bitter taste.
Here are a few options to make Vegetarian Enchilada Quinoa
- Substitute ground chicken with soya granules or vegan meat
- Substitute ground chicken with vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, or squash
- Use homemade enchilada sauce or a good quality store-bought
- Add 2 cups of low sodium broth instead of water
- If you do not have taco seasoning, for each tablespoon of taco seasoning use 1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt
- Fire-roasted tomatoes can be substituted with fresh diced tomatoes.
- First, set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Next, add ground chicken and break it in with a spatula. Then, add quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeños, water, enchilada sauce, chili powder, and cumin(photos 1 – 4).
- Mix well, breaking in any lumps of ground chicken. Close the Instant Pot with the pressure release valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook (Hi) for 4 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot and mix the enchilada quinoa. Lastly, garnish with cilantro and scallions (photos 5 – 6).
Our other favorite quinoa recipes:
- Instant Pot Quinoa – A perfect meal prep recipe
- Quinoa Almond Date Truffles – love for breakfast, snack, or dessert
- Quinoa Dosa – This Instant dosa does not need fermenting the batter and the dosa’s come out crispy and delicious
- Quinoa Idli – Pillowy soft Idli using Quinoa
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 can 15-ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can 15-ounce diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese or mexican cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add ground chicken and break it in with a spatula. Add quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapeños, water, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and cumin.
- Mix well, breaking in any lumps of ground chicken. Close the Instant Pot with pressure release valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook (Hi) for 4 minutes. Allow 10 minutes natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot and mix the enchilada quinoa. Garnish with cilantro and scallions.
- Serve with diced avocados, pepper jack cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime.