Mango Shrikhand – A cool and lush mango flavored dessert made with creamy yogurt and mango, garnished with aromatic saffron!
Editor's note - This post originally published in March 2017 was updated April 2019 with more detailed information and photos.
Happy Spring! What is Gudi Padwa
- First day of the month “Chaitra” in hindu calendar
- Start of spring and beginning of a new year for the people of Maharashtra, India
- One of the most auspicious days in the year and beginning of new harvest season
- To celebrate, early morning we hang a ‘Gudi’ outside our homes. Gudi is a beautiful display made on a bamboo stick. On the top is a brass pot hung upside down, which is then adorned with a bright silk cloth, a flower garland and a twig of mango leaves. Gudi is a sign of prosperity and good things to come.
- Growing up, I remember my mom making homemade Mango Shrikhand and serving it hot fluffy Puri’s to celebrate Gudi Padwa.
What is Shrikhand
- Indian sweet dish made with strained yogurt
- The classic shrikhand recipe is flavored with cardamom and nuts. To make it simply substitute the mango pulp in this recipe with a teaspoon of ground cardamom. Optionally, garnish with sliced nuts
- Mango Shrikhand is a variation to the classic shrikhand that is flavored with mango pulp.
Top Tips for making Mango Shrikhand
- Use canned alphonso mango pulp from Swad or Deep brand
- Use plain unflavored yogurt and not low fat or fat-free
- I have tried this recipe using greek yogurt but found that it does not have the tanginess of the traditional shrikhand
- Homemade yogurt works well for this recipe
- If you have an Indian grocery store near you try the Desi Yogurt brand otherwise stick to Stonyfield or other plain yogurt found in grocery stores
- Shrikhand is a great make ahead recipe, it stays well in the refrigerator for up to a month or can be frozen for longer shelf life
How to make Mango Shrikhand step by step
- Line a large bowl with a double layer of cheesecloth. Pour the yogurt onto the cheesecloth.
- Gather the corners of the cloth and tie into a bundle. Hang the cheese cloth so all the water can drain out. I usually hang this for 5-6 hours or put some weight on the cloth and leave it overnight in the refrigerator, in a colander, so the water can completely drain out. Squeeze out any remaining water by tightly pressing against the tied yogurt. The consistency should be thicker than that of the greek yogurt.
- Empty thickened yogurt into a mixing bowl. This should be about 1.5 cups of thick strained yogurt.
- Mix well with a slotted spoon or whisk for 5 minutes until it is smooth.
- Stir in sugar and mix well for another 5 mins. Yogurt should be smooth and lump free.
- Add the mango pulp and mix well for another 5 mins. Garnish with saffron strands and chill for an hour before serving.
How to serve Shrikhand
- Serve Mango Shrikhand with hot puri’s and batata bhaji (spicy potatoes)
Looking for more festive recipes? Try some of our favorite Indian desserts:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
A cool and lush mango flavored dessert made with creamy yogurt and sweet mangoes, garnished with aromatic saffron.
- 2 pounds regular plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 cup mango pulp
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
- Line a large bowl with a double layer of cheesecloth. Pour the yogurt onto the cheesecloth, gather the corners of the cloth and tie into a bundle. Hang the cheese cloth so all the water can drain out (5-6 hours) or put some weight on the cloth and leave it overnight in the refrigerator, in a colander, so the water can completely drain out.
Empty thickened yogurt into a bowl. Mix well with a slotted spoon or whisk for 5 minutes until it is smooth. Stir in sugar and mix well for another 5 mins.
- Add mango pulp and mix well until it gets smooth and creamy consistency (5 mins). Garnish with saffron strands. Chill for an hour before serving. Serve with hot Puris.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.