“Absolutely eat dessert first. The thing that you want to do the most, do that.” – Joss Whedon
Sweet Coconut Rice – An Ambrosial dessert made with basmati rice, grated coconut and a hint of aromatic cloves, cardamom, and saffron! Sweet Coconut Rice, also known as “Narali Bhath” is a traditional Maharashtrian recipe cooked especially on “Narali Poornima” which a full moon day during the auspicious month of Shravan. This make-ahead recipe is a crowd pleaser and we make it frequently for gatherings and parties. I have been trying to make this recipe in the Instant Pot for the last couple of months. Finally, after few failed attempts I was able to perfect the recipe in the Instant Pot with the help and expert advice from my Mom. I am SO excited to share this Instant Pot version of EASY sweet coconut rice recipe in addition to my stove top recipe!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 2 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil divided
- 15-20 whole cashews
- 2 whole green cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh coconut grated (frozen works well)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Wash, rinse and soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Drain the rice and keep aside. Soak saffron in milk and set aside for garnishing
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee and cashews. Cook the cashews for a minute or until they turn golden brown, stirring constantly. Take the cashews out and keep aside for garnishing in the end.
- Add remaining ghee to the pot. Add cardamom pods and cloves. Cook for 10-15 seconds as the release the aromas. Add drained rice and toast gently for a minute stirring constantly.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of water and salt. Mix well. Make sure all the rice is submerged under water. Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 6 minutes followed by 5-minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant pot. Add coconut, sugar, raisins and cardamom powder. Mix well.
Set Instant Pot to Saute(less) mode. Cook with a glass lid on for 5 mins. Garnish with fried cashews and saffron. Enjoy!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.