My favorite restaurant side just got better with this HEALTHY HOMEMADE recipe for AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES. And they’re everything I want—super crispy outside, tender inside, with a little spice to complement the natural sweetness. It’s so much fun to make sweet potato fries because their sweet/savory flavor is made for getting creative with dips.
While these sweet potato fries taste and feel indulgent, the Air Fryer lets me enjoy this delicious treat guilt-free. Air frying eliminates all the things I don’t want—NO deep or shallow frying, NO refined oils, NO mess, NO greasy oil-soaked fries, NO regret!
If you’ve never tried dusting potatoes with cornstarch before air frying, it’s time to give it a try. Cornstarch helps fries get nice and crispy so skipping the traditional frying method doesn’t mean sacrificing texture. These homemade fries come out like…..fries!
The seasoning on these Sweet Potato Fries (salt, garlic, and cayenne pepper) means they’re really tasty as-is out of the Air Fryer. But we’re dip people in my family and we like to switch it up! Ketchup, green chutney, sriracha mayo, curry mayo, tamarind chutney, and buffalo sauce + sour cream are a few of the different pairings we’ve enjoyed. Hungry yet?!
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Note: printable recipe card with ingredients is at the end of this post.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even ¼-inch thick sticks.
- Add sweet potatoes to cold water and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain out all of the water and place the potato wedges on a kitchen towel.
- Dry them well and place them in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle over the cornstarch
- Toss or mix with a spatula so that the potatoes get evenly coated
- Add olive oil, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and black pepper
- Mix well
- Add the fries to the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F for 12 mins
- Shake halfway through. Add 2 minutes in the end for extra crispy fries
- Sprinkle with chopped chives
- Serve with a dip, here are a few suggestions: ketchup, green chutney, sriracha mayo, curry mayo, tamarind chutney, or buffalo sauce mixed with sour cream
- We love to serve these air fryer sweet potato fries with Black Bean Burgers, Chicken Burgers, or Salmon Burgers
- To Peel Or Not To Peel - This comes down to personal preference. If you do leave the skin on, you’ll be seriously upping your insoluble fiber intake which is great for gut health and the skin itself contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Removing the skin does not remove all of the nutrients
- If leaving the skin on, try to buy organic sweet potatoes and scrub, scrub, scrub under cool water with a vegetable brush
Air-fried sweet potato fries taste best fresh. You can always refrigerate any leftovers. To reheat simply pop them back in the air fryer and cook at 380 for 3 to 5 minutes or until they are hot and crispy.
More Vegetarian Side Dishes You'll Love
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Cut each potato into even ¼ inch thick sticks. Add potatoes to cold water and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain out all of the water and place the potato wedges on a kitchen towel. Dry them well and place in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle over the cornstarch and toss or mix with a spatula so that the potatoes get evenly coated. Toss with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper.
- Add the fries to the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F for 12 mins. Shake Half way through. Add 2 minutes in the end for extra crispy!