Using the Air Fryer for Kurkuri Bhindi means you can enjoy this favorite appetizer, side dish, and snack any time you want! The finger-licking light and ultra crispy coating is Gluten Free and packed with protein from a combination of rice and gram flours. The firm juicy okra is the perfect texture for coating and air frying.
Kurkuri Bhindi or Crispy okra is vegan, gluten-free, and full of nutrients from the star—okra. Bhindi/Okra is a favorite ingredient in Indian cuisine as it holds up to a variety of flavors and cooking methods from stewing, to frying, sautéing, and stuffing. Okra, technically a fruit but treated as a vegetable, is jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber so it ups the nutritious quality of many dishes.
For fans of okra, this dish celebrates a loved ingredient. And for those who are not familiar or don’t think they like okra—Kurkuri Bhindi is the dish to try. Air frying the okra results in a delightful texture. The complex combination of turmeric, chili, garam masala, carom/ajwain seeds, and lemon will have you coming back for more!
Okra Health Benefits
Not only does this air fryer recipe taste amazing but it is really good for you too! It is packed with polyphenols - which are antioxidants that help protect your cells from the damage of free radicals. These antioxidants may help protect your brain from symptoms of aging and even improve your memory.
Studies also show that it might help lower your cholesterol, so it's really good for your heart health.
Plus, okra is really high in both vitamin C and vitamins K and B6 - all very important for your overall health and energy levels. Vitamin C boosts your immune system and vitamin K is really good for healthy bones. Vitamin B6 is really important for a healthy metabolism.
- Buy tender long okra from Indian grocery stores, about 25 okra. The okra from regular US grocery stores is light green and thick - if using those cut each okra lengthwise into 6 pieces.
- Wash the okra first, and then dry them really well before you start cutting.
- Use a clean dry cutting board and knife. The knife may get sticky while cutting, notice the knife getting sticky, wipe it dry with a paper towel.
- If the okra is long, cut it into half after making the vertical slits so they cook evenly without losing the shape in the air fryer.
- If you have a smaller air fryer cook the okra in 2 batches.
How To Make Fried Okra in The Air Fryer
- Rinse and drain the okra and completely dry each one with a kitchen towel (photo 1).
- Cut the top and bottoms off of the okra. Then cut each okra into 4 quarters lengthwise. If the okra is thick you can also cut it into 6 pieces lengthwise (photos 2, 3, and 4).
- Place the cut okra in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, salt, gram flour rice flour, and ajwain seeds. Mix well (photos 5 and 6).
- Add lemon juice and water. Mix well coating all the ingredients well to the okra. Add the oil and mix well again (photos 7 and 8).
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil. Evenly place the okra in the air fryer basket without overcrowding. Having slightly layered okra is ok but spread out as much as possible within the basket (photos 9 and 10).
- Cook at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Shake the basket, lightly spray the okra with oil and then cook for an additional 2 minutes at 370 ° F (photos 11 and 12).
What To Serve With Kurkuri Bhindi
You can serve this bhindi dish as a meal with hot roti, parathas, or my favorite way to enjoy it is with kadhi & khichdi. To serve as an appetizer pair it with your favorite dip or ketchup!
Eating spicy foods always puts me in the mood for something sweet. These are my favorite desserts to eat after a savory meal.
Kurkuri bhindi tastes the best fresh out of the air fryer. Eat them right away. If you want to store them for later, keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will become softer the longer you keep them, so eat them soon.
To enjoy them later, just reheat them for a few minutes in the air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Frying Okra
No, preheating the air fryer is not necessary. If you are not preheating the air fryer you may need to cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
The best way to reheat leftover fried okra is in the air fryer. Reheat it for 1-2 minutes at 350°F.
If you want to make this in the oven, preheat the oven to 390 degrees F. Follow the same steps in the recipe card, just bake it in the oven for 20 minutes, turning the okra halfway through cooking.
Make sure you are rinsing it really well and drying it completely with a kitchen towel. Then, slice it really thin. This will give you non-slimy okra.
Yes, lots of people enjoy round bhindi too. Make sure you are still slicing it very thinly, that way they will become crispy in the air fryer.
Did you enjoy this easy Air Fryer Appetizer? Here are some more recipes to try:
- Crispy Cauliflower Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Tandoori Chicken
- Chilli Chicken
- Paneer Tikka
- Fish Sticks
Air fryer Kurkuri Bhindi
- ½ pound okra **
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons gram flour besan
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds ajwain seeds
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoons oil
- ½ lemon cut into wedges for serving
- Rinse and drain the okra. Completely dry each okra individually with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Cut the top and bottoms off of the okra. Then cut each okra into 4 quarters lengthwise. If the okra is thick you can also cut it into 6 pieces lengthwise.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400° F for 5 minutes.
- Place the cut okra in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, salt, gram flour rice flour, and ajwain seeds. Mix well. Add lemon juice and water. Mix well coating all the ingredients well to the okra. Add the oil and mix well again.
- Lightly spray the air fyer basket with cooking oil. Evenly place the okra in the air fryer basket without overcrowding. Having slightly layered okra is ok but spread out as much as possible within the basket. Cook in 2 batches if you have a smaller air fryer.
- Cook at 350°F for about 10 minutes. Shake the basket, lightly spray the okra with oil and then cook for an additional 2 minutes at 370 ° F.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and ketchup.
- Buy tender long okra from Indian grocery stores, about 25 okra. The okra from regular US grocery stores is light green and thick. If using those cut each okra lengthwise into 6 pieces.
- If you have a smaller air fryer cook the okra in 2 batches.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer the okra may be less or more time to cook. Check the okra after about 6 minutes and adjust the cooking time
- Preheating the air fryer is not necessary. If you are no preheating the air fryer you may need to cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
- When making okra ahead of time, simply reheat it in the air fryer for 1 to 2 minutes at 350°F
will be making this soon am indian too but am in Singapore i just told my mom to buy an air fryer perfect for my after office snacks will dm you if i make this and let you know how it goes Thanks Ramya
Can we use frozen okra?
If it's the small round cut yes!
Medha Rajamanur says
Hello ministryofcurry fans, followers and food lovers, don't miss on trying this modern way of bhindi making. I served it with spinach daal and rice. It is a great accompaniment with daal.
Thanks for the recipe Archana. Another super easy recipe that does not disappoint.
Why to preheat at 400 and when have to cook at 350?
I always preheat at 400, by the time you open the basket and add the food it cools down rapidly. So better to preheat extra.
Pam Stephens says
What oil spray do you use in the air fryer?
I use avocado oil, which I fill in refillable oil spray bottles.
Hi Archana, first of all I am a big follower of your recipes and my family’s most favorite is the malai kofta one with meatless balls
I want to try this recipe next but don’t have rice flour. Is there any substitute that I can use instead?
Hi Shruti! You can use corn starch or arrowroot powder
Hi! Love all your recipes, can’t wait to try this one!
Can you substitute fennel seeds or anything for carom seeds??
You can skip carom seeds.
Jacob Ikareth says
Great recipe with a very more-ish end result. Fabulous❤️.