There’s granola, and then there’s HOMEMADE ALMOND GRANOLA that has attained somewhat of a legendary status in my neck of the woods. I’ve been making this Almond Granola recipe for 10 years now (that’s so crazy to say out loud!) and it has become one of the most anticipated homemade Holiday Gifts! Everyone who has tasted this almond granola studded with dried fruits and has asked for the recipe and now I’m sharing it with all of you!!
The Story of Kristen’s Granola
My cousin has been making us jars of this delicious homemade almond granola for years using the recipe from her friend Kristen at AfamilyKitchen. When I moved to Ridgewood, 10 years ago, I thought this would be a fun way to get to know my neighbors so I started packing up this amazing granola as a holiday gift. I would give dressed-up little jars to family, friends, and neighbors during the holidays. It was such a huge hit that I still keep up this tradition!
Last year on Instagram stories, I shared a photo of the beautifully packaged homemade granola that I had made. I literally got hundreds of requests for the recipe and that’s why I’m so excited to share this recipe for the holidays!! I can’t wait to see the photos of all of your creations on Instagram! Adding personality to the packaging is so much fun!
Crispy Delicious Homemade Almond Granola in the OVEN
During the holidays I make big batches of this granola in the oven so I always have enough on hand for sharing. You can double, triple, and quadruple the recipe. And you can change it up to make it your own. I have tons of tips and substitutions below.
And in the AIR FRYER
Almond Granola is a staple in our house because once we tasted this homemade version there was no going back. The Air Fryer is perfect for cooking up a small batch for the family. We sprinkle this granola on our Overnight Oats with Chia, yogurt parfaits, hot oatmeal with berries, and it always makes an appearance on the Breakfast Charcuterie Board.
The AIR FRYER is also my go-to when I’m invited to someone’s home and need a last-minute hostess gift. I always have the ingredients in my pantry and in a few minutes, the granola is ready to go. Your hosts will have a thoughtful and delicious treat waiting for breakfast and it always gets rave reviews!
- Old fashioned rolled oats - These healthy whole grains are naturally gluten-free. Oats are a rich source of dietary fiber which is essential for digestive and heart health. As part of a healthy diet, it can help lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and maintain blood sugar levels.
- Almonds - Sliced almonds are available in most US grocery stores. Blanched sliced almonds can be replaced with the regular sliced almonds. Almonds are a great source of plant-based protein, manganese, vitamin E, and magnesium. They can help control blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Rice Krispies - Makes the granola light and crispy while adding extra crunch!
- Cinnamon - An essential holiday spice!
- Honey - Adds sweetness and helps the granola stick together
- Butter - I use Kerrygold grass-fed Irish butter
- Brown Sugar - Perfectly sweet
- Dried Fruits - Add flavor and texture
I love that this recipe is super versatile, you can customize the ingredients to your liking!
- Kristen Original recipe called for dried apples and raisins which are delicious! Sour dried cherries can help cut a bit of sweetness. I also love it with dried cranberries and raisins.
- For a vegan version, substitte butter with coconut oil and honey with maple syrup.
- Want to make a small batch for your family, use your air fryer! Want to share with friends and family? Bake a big batch in the oven.
- If you like chunky granola, simply press down after stirring and then air fry again. Allow it to completely cool down and then break it.
- Remember to line the air fryer basket as well as the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread the granola evenly on the tray or the air fryer basket so it cooks evenly. Remember to spread it again after each stir.
- Do not over cook the granola as it continues to crisp as it cools down.
Here is a quick step-by-step recipe on how to make granola in the Air Fryer. Please scroll below to the recipe card for a printable recipe with ingredients and Oven instructions.
- Combine the sugar, butter, and honey in a mixing bowl. Microwave until the butter melts. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved. Separately mix the oats, rice krispies, cinnamon, and sliced almonds together.
- Fold the melted butter in the oats mixture together until the oats are well coated. Preheat the air fryer at 320 F. Place parchment paper in the air fryer basket. Add the oat mixture to the parchment paper and spread evenly. Air fry for 10 minutes or until well toasted. Stir the granola 3 to 4 times to cook evenly.
- Remove from the air fryer and let the granola cool for about 20 minutes. Place into a mixing bowl and stir in the raisins and diced dried apples (or whatever dried fruit you have decided to use). Store tightly covered in a dry place.
I love to top crunchy almond granola on flavored or plain yogurt making for delicious breakfast parfaits. Add a spoonful to your breakfast cereal or serve it as is with a cup of hot tea or chai.
I love to store my granola in glass jars! It looks pretty on your kitchen countertop and can be enjoyed along with breakfast, as a snack, or a dessert. Granola stays crisp and fresh for upto 2 weeks at room temperature. You can also freeze it for longer shelf life. Simply keep it at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Want to give as gifts or share for a Holiday cookie exchange? Here are some ideas for packaging:
- mason jars easily available online and at many home stores
- Small take out boxes also sold at arts and crafts stores like Joanne or Michaels
- Zip lock bags with a gift label tied with bakers twine
Can I substitute quick oats for rolled oats in granola?
Rolled or Old fashioned oats are best for making homemade granola. Quick or Instant oats can be used in place of rolled oats, although the cooking time will be much less and the final dish may not have as much texture.
Where can I buy rolled oats?
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Substitute butter with coconut oil and honey with maple syrup.
Homemade Almond granola
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup rice krispies
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cups blanched sliced almonds
- dried cranberries to taste
- raisins to taste
- Combine the sugar, butter, and honey in a mixing bowl. Microwave until the butter melts. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved.
- Separately mix the oats, rice krispies, cinnamon, and sliced almonds together.
- Fold the melted butter and oats mixture together until the oats are well coated.
- Preheat the air fryer at 320 F. Place parchment paper in the air fryer basket. Add the oat mixture on the parchment paper and spread evenly.
- Air fry for 10 minutes or until well toasted. Stir the granola 3 to 4 times to cook evenly.
- Remove from the air fryer and let the granola cool for about 20 minutes.
- Place into a mixing bowl and stir in the cranberried and raisins (or whatever dried fruit you have decided to use).
- Makes about 2.5 to 3 cups of granola. Store tightly covered in a dry place.
- Pour out the oat and butter mixture onto sheet pans, spreading evenly, no more than ½" thick.
- Bake the granola in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until well toasted. Stir the granola several times while cooking to cook evenly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet pans for about 30 minutes.
- Place into a large mixing bowl and stir in the raisins and diced dried apples (or whatever dried fruit you have decided to use). Store tightly covered in a dry place.