Today’s recipe is adapted from my aunt’s broccoli and tofu cutlets recipe. She makes some of the best cutlets and this is my most favorite one! I have devoured her cutlets for years before I finally decided to make them myself.
Everyone in my family enjoys them and this has become a go-to recipe for us. It uses simple yet healthy ingredients that are readily available all year long. I love the taste of fresh ginger in them which gives it the right amount of spice and warmth. For me this dish is a great way to add lots of broccoli and a large chunk of tofu at once in our healthy meals.
This is one of my favorite go to dish as an appetizer for parties, it can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. My son loves eating this for his school lunches. They also taste amazing as burgers with some lettuce, onions and whole wheat buns for lunch or dinner.
Serve with the Red Pepper Chutney as a dip or as a burger with lettuce, red onions and whole wheat buns.
Easy Red Pepper Chutney to serve with Broccoli and Tofu Cutlets –
- De-seed and roughly chop 1 large red pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds start to sizzle, add red pepper, 4 garlic cloves and salt to taste.
- Cook covered on low heat for 5 mins stirring couple of times. Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Blend the mixture in a blender to make smooth and vibrant chutney. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week
- Can also be used as a spread in panini’s, sandwiches or as a dip.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Broccoli Tofu Cutlets
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 14 ounces organic firm tofu
- 1 large potato
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 4 green chilies crushed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil on high heat. Add washed broccoli florets to it and bring it to boil. Cook for 2 minutes and turn the heat off. Drain the water from the broccoli and keep aside.
- Squeeze out all the water from the tofu by wrapping it in a couple of paper towels and gently pressing the water out of it.
- Boil, peel and mash the potato.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add tofu and crumble into small pieces with a spatula. Stir constantly until all the water from the tofu is evaporated. Pour the crumbled tofu in a mixing bowl. Add the boiled mashed potato to it.
- Roughly mince steamed broccoli in food processor and add it to the potato and tofu. Add crushed ginger, green chilies and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Make small balls from the mixture, about the size of lemon and then slightly press them to flatten. Make them bigger if you want to enjoy them as burgers.
- In a separate dish whisk the egg white with 1 tsp of water.
- Put a griddle or a non stick pan on medium heat and grease it lightly with some oil. Dip the flattened cutlets in the egg whites and put them on the griddle.
- Carefully turn them over after 2-3 mins and cook the other side for another 2 mins until the cutlets have a nice golden brown color. Since we are not using any breadcrumbs in this recipe, the patties need to be flipped very gently as they can break easily. You can always use some bread crumbs to make them easy to flip and turn.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.