Eggplant & chicken in garlic sauce is my all-time favorite dish from the Chinese takeout menu. I LOVE eggplant and I like how it tastes so good with chicken and delicious hot, tangy and sweet garlic-based sauce. Served with hot fried rice this dish is my kind of comfort food to enjoy on a lazy Sunday!
Two BIG reasons why I love this dish are the gorgeous eggplant, the flavorful, tender, and juicy purple Chinese eggplant. I also use them to make a simple Indian eggplant sauté with garlic, chili and roasted peanuts. Speaking of which, that recipe coming soon, so stay tuned.
The second reason is my obsession with GARLIC. I never follow the amount of garlic many recipes call for because I find it very funny when some recipes call for only ONE clove of garlic! So this recipe uses a LOT of garlic.
A bonus for making it at home is that you can control the sodium(soy sauce) which is much healthier when you know what you are putting in your food and how much!
I have been trying to make this recipe in my Instant Pot for the last few weeks only to get overly mushy eggplant. The trick I’ve learned with Instant Pot cooking is you have to quick it for shorter times, cut your veggies fairly large and do NOT forget to quick release.
Another change I made is to use ground chicken which cooks much faster than chicken breast. Thinly sliced chicken breast cut into smaller pieces will also work in this recipe.
Without further ado, here is the cooked to perfection and quick recipe for eggplant & chicken in garlic sauce, using the Instant Pot!
- 3 chinese eggplant quartered vertically and then cut into 2 inch long wedges
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3-4 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes less for a milder dish
- 3-4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3-4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 5 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and corn starch well and keep aside.
- Turn IP to saute mode. Once the ‘hot’ sign displays add oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 secs.
- Add chicken, cook for 3 minutes breaking the chicken with spatula.
- Add ½ cup of water and eggplant.
- Close IP with pressure valve to sealing. Set on Manual(Hi) for 2 min followed by QR.
- Set IP to saute mode. Add the mixed sauce and mix everything together.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to gentle boil and turn IP off. Serve with hot fried rice.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.