Chicken and eggplant in garlic sauce is my all-time favorite dish from the Chinese takeout menu. I LOVE eggplant and I like how it tastes so good with chicken and delicious hot, tangy and sweet garlic-based sauce. Served with hot fried rice this dish is my kind of comfort food.
Why I LOVE this homemade version of the chinese takeout dish:
- Loaded with flavorful, tender, and juicy purple chinese eggplant
- GARLIC and lots of garlic
- Healthier since you get to control how much soy sauce to add
- Ready in 15 minutes
Tips for making perfect chicken & eggplant in garlic sauce using Instant Pot:
- Cut eggplant into thicker wedges and always quick release. Press cancel on the Instant Pot when quick releasing
- Ground chicken works really well for this recipe but you can also use thinly sliced 1 inch pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
Step by step recipe for the best chicken and eggplant in garlic sauce:
step 1: Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and corn starch in a small bowl and keep aside.
step 2: Cut the eggplant into thick wedges.
step 3: Mince lots of garlic, I love this oxo garlic mincer.
step 4: Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 secs.
step 5: Add chicken, cook for 3 minutes breaking the chicken with spatula.
step 6: Add 1/4 cup of water and eggplant. Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Set on Manual/Pressure Cook(Hi) for 2 min.
step 7: Press Cancel and quick release. Open the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Add the mixed reserved sauce.
step 8: Gently stir everything together. Bring to gentle boil and then turn the Instant Pot off. Enjoy with hot fried rice!
We enjoy this spicy chicken and eggplant dish over fried brown rice. Check out my Instant Pot brown rice recipe for perfectly cooked, nutty brown rice. Once you have teh brown rice cooked here is a simple recipe to make fried rice. Since the Eggplant and Chicken dish is so flavorful I usually do not add more spices, garlic etc to this the fried rice.
Quick fried rice recipe:
- Scramble 2 to 3 eggs in some oil and keep aside.
- In a medium pot or Instant Pot, heat oil and add 1 to 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. Sauce for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cooked brown rice and 1 to 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. Soy sauce is optional but tastes great.
- Mix in the fried eggs and enjoy hot.
Here a quick video showing how to make and chicken & eggplant in garlic sauce, using the Instant Pot!
Did you enjoy this quick and delicious meal? Here are some of my other favorite recipes for busy weeknights:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 3 chinese eggplant quartered vertically and then cut into 2 inch long wedges
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3-4 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes less for a milder dish
- 3-4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
Mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and corn starch well and keep aside.
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 30 secs.
- Add chicken, cook for 3 minutes breaking the chicken with spatula.
Add 1/4 cup of water and eggplant. Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Set on Manual(Hi) for 2 min followed by Quick Release.
Open the Instant Pot and set to Saute mode. Add the mixed sauce and stir everything together. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Bring to gentle boil and then turn the Instant Pot off. Serve with hot fried rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking