Egg Biryani is a must-try recipe for all egg lovers as it promises to take your love for eggs to another level altogether. The zesty marinade for egg biryani is made from freshly ground spices, grated ginger, minced garlic, chopped mint, and cilantro. This fresh and pungent marinade lends an unmistakable character to the otherwise humble boiled eggs and makes this dish one of the most tasteful meals.
Egg Biryani is a wholesome one-pot meal that will satisfy both your hunger and your taste buds. Also known as Anda Biryani in India, this dish is made by cooking together fragrant long grain basmati rice, spiced hard-boiled eggs, perfectly caramelized onions, and select aromatic spices, delighting your senses in every bite.
The Instant Pot Egg Biryani tastes just as good as the traditional stovetop version, and the flavors and textures are beautifully retained too. Not only will you have your dinner ready in 45 minutes, but you will also have your family practically eating out of your hands.
Here’s a little trivia about Biryani
Originally from Persia, the dish Biryani gets its name from the Persian words “Biryan” and “Birinj” meaning “fried before cooking” and “rice” respectively.
Over time, biryani has greatly evolved in terms of the methods of cooking as well as the use of different meats or flavors across the length and breadth of India. On your India travels, be sure to sample the different biryani preparations as each one is unique and equally delish!
Thank you for your overwhelming love and all the positive responses to my Instant Pot Biryani recipes. From my most popular Chicken Biryani to the low carb riced cauliflower chicken biryani, I am humbled to see all the positive feedback. Many of you have requested an Egg Biryani recipe. So here is my simple and easy take on one of the most delicious pressure cooker meals – The Instant Pot Egg Biryani.
Today, I am going to share with you my version of the quick and easy Egg Biryani recipe that makes no compromises on taste whatsoever! Go ahead, and mark this as one of your favorite weeknight dinners.
Ministry Of Curry’s Pro Tips for the best egg biryani recipe:
- I like to use the extra-long grain basmati rice in Biryani recipes
- If you do not have time to soak the rice, follow the same recipe, the rice may not be as fluffy but will still be delicious
- Use homemade garam masala and homemade ghee for the authentic taste
- If you are looking to buy spices online, check out my favorite essential Indian spices.
As you all probably know, the Instant Pot is great to cook perfect hard boiled eggs. There are several tried and tested methods, but I like the 5-5 method.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Before I get into the Egg Biryani, here is my Instant Pot recipe for perfect hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel:
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot.
- Place the Instant Pot trivet and place eggs on top of it. I like to use 6 eggs for this recipe.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the pressure release valve to sealing.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes of natural pressure release
- Release the remaining pressure by turning the pressure release valve from sealing to venting.
- Using heat resistant mitts take out the inner pot and place it under running cold water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Peel the eggs and make 3 shallow slits on each egg to use in egg biryani.
Once you have the eggs peeled and ready, making Egg Biryani is super easy.
Here is my step by step egg biryani recipe:
Step 1: Rinse the rice and soak in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes. Drain all the water after 20 minutes.
Step 2 : Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add ghee. Add onions and saute until they turn light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Take half of the onions out and reserve. Deglaze the bottom of the pot to remove any browning from sauteeing the onions. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help remove any stuck browned bits as this will help the Instant Pot come to pressure properly. Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, bay leaves and saute for a minute. Turn the Instant Pot off and add red chili powder, turmeric, salt, garam masala, ginger, garlic, mint, cilantro, tomatoes and yogurt. Mix well.
Step 4: Add eggs and mix, coating the eggs with the spices. Add rice over and spread it evenly. Add 2 cups of water and stir gently making sure most of the rice is under liquids.
Step 5: Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook (Low) for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes natural pressure release. Release the remaining pressure and open the Instant Pot. Layer the reserved caramelized onions and saffron milk evenly on top. Garnish with remaining cilantro.
Enjoy hot with a lemon wedge and raita.
To make simple and delicious Tomato and Onion Raita, whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Add onions, tomatoes, salt, sugar and mix well. Garnish with cilantro.
Love this naturally gluten-free one-pot meal of Biryani? Here are my other Biryani recipes that are finger-licking good:
- Veg Biryani – Loaded with vegetables and soft paneer
- Shrimp Biryani – Quick weeknight meal, this shrimp biryani is easy and flavorful
- Chickpea Biryani – Delicious with protein-packed chickpea and can be made vegan
- Healthy Brown Rice Biryani – Healthier twist with nutty, chewy brown rice
- Riced Cauliflower Chicken Biryani – Low carb, keto biryani
- Fish Biryani – Delicious way to get the heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids in your diet
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Instant Pot Egg Biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 yellow onions medium, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1.5 teaspoons ginger grated
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ cup mint leaves chopped (optional)
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 pinch saffron mixed in 1 tablespoon warm milk optional
- 4 Lemon wedges optional
- 1 medium red onion finely diced
- 1 tomato finely diced
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped finely
- Rinse the rice and soak in 4 cups of water for 20 minutes. Drain all the water after 20 minutes.
- While the rice is soaking hard boil the eggs. Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Place the trivet and place eggs on top of it. Close the Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook (hi) for 5 minutes. Allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release and then release the remaining pressure and open the Instant pot. Using a pair of heat-resistant mitts, carefully pick up the Instant Pot insert and place it in the sink. Run cold water for 2 minutes over the eggs or place them in an ice bath. Once the eggs are cool to handle, peel them. Make 3 shallow slits to the hard-boiled eggs and keep them aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add ghee. Add onions and saute until they turn light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Take half of the onions out and reserve.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot to remove any browning from sauteeing the onions. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help remove any stuck browned bits as this will help the Instant Pot come to pressure properly and not show the dreaded "BURN"
- Add cumin seeds, black peppercorns, bay leaves, and saute for a minute. Turn the Instant Pot off and add red chili powder, turmeric, salt, garam masala, ginger, garlic, mint, cilantro, tomatoes, and yogurt. Mix well once again deglazing the pot.
- Add eggs and mix coating the eggs with the spices. Add rice over and spread it evenly. Add water and stir gently making sure most of the rice is under liquids. Close the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook (Low) for 5 minutes followed by 5 minutes natural pressure release. Release the remaining pressure and open the Instant Pot. Layer the reserved caramelized onions and saffron milk evenly on top. Garnish with remaining cilantro. Enjoy hot with a lemon wedge and raita.
- To make the raita, whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Add onions, tomatoes, salt, sugar and mix well. Garnish with cilantro.