Instant Pot Beet Risotto with Parmigiano-Reggiano, Golden Fried Garlic Chips, and Fresh Green Scallions makes a special occasion out of any dinner! This restaurant-worthy dish is made entirely in the Instant pot and takes the time-consuming step of continuously stirring the risotto out of the equation. Amaze yourself and your guests with a dish that’s surprisingly easy and ready in under 30 minutes!!
This recipe originally published in Feb 2017 has been updated with new photos, videos, and step by step recipe.
A Feast for the Eyes
There is no comparison to the sight of plump, creamy risotto in the most gorgeous shade of crimson red. Studded with contrasting golden garlic chips and spring-green scallions adds color, texture, and layers of flavor that make each bite an experience. This dish is 100% worth making and falling in with!
The Inspiration for Red-Wine Beet Risotto
I discovered this heavenly risotto while visiting Atlanta with my son and some friends for academic competitions. Since we’d never been to Atlanta before, we took some time to explore the city and, of course. check out some new restaurants. One place that really stood out was the Saltyard.
The vibrant dining room only added to the enjoyment of a meal featuring seasonal tapas made with local ingredients. I remember practically drooling as dish after dish arrived! Butterbean guacamole bruschetta followed by street-cart-style corn, flash-fried Brussels sprouts, and my favorite: The Red Wine & Beet Risotto!
The red wine enhanced the earthy sweetness of the beets and I was surprised by how well each ingredient stood out in the risotto. I knew I had to make this dish at home and I was excited to make a version that lived up to the original. But my priority was to create a dish that would be quick and easy enough for even the busiest home cooks to want to try.
Beets are high in fiber and full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are a great source of folate and B vitamins. They also have anti-inflammatory properties, have been shown to help lower blood pressure, and protect brain health. The subtle sweetness and brilliant color they add to dishes are more reasons to add beets to your shopping list!
I buy beets quite often and I like to buy them with the greens still intact. The greens are delicious and super nutritious, high in Vitamins C and A. I sautée them and serve them with lentils for a very healthy and satisfying meal.
Step by step recipe
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute mode and heat oil. Add garlic slices and cook for 4-5 miniutes stirring frequently until they turn crisp and golden. Take the garlic slices out and keep them aside for garnishing. Add onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until translucent and soft. (photos 1 - 4)
- Add arborio rice and lightly toast for a minute stirring often. Stir in red wine, cooking for a minute as the wine reduces. Add broth, sliced beets, and salt. (photos 5 - 8)
- Close the Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook(Hi) for 7 minutes followed by Natural Pressure Release. Open the Instant Pot and take out the beets in a small blender. Blend to a smooth puree and put the puree back in the Instant Pot. Mix well.
- Add fresh ground pepper. Garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano, scallions and garlic slices. Enjoy hot!
The creamy, flavorful, and stunning beetroot risotto with a hint of red wine can be enjoyed with some freshly grated parmesan, scallions or parsley, fried garlic, and freshly ground pepper.
Serve with grilled shrimp skewers or pan-seared scallops for a heartier meal.
Did you enjoy this easy risotto in the Instant Pot? Do check out my aromatic saffron risotto recipe.
Here are some more quick and easy Instant Pot Dinner Ideas:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Instant Pot Red Wine & Beet Risotto
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano grated
- 2 tablespoons scallions thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add garlic slices and cook them until they turn golden and crispy stirring frequently. Take the garlic out and reserve, leaving the extra oil in the pot.
- Add onions and cook for two minutes until they start to turn translucent and soft. Add rice and lightly toast for a minute stirring often. Add red wine and mix well, cooking for a minute as the wine reduces.
- Add broth, beets, and salt.
- Close the Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook (Hi) for 7 minutes followed by natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and take out the beets using a pair of tongs. Blend to a smooth puree. Add the puree back to the Instant Pot and mix well. Add fresh ground pepper.
- Garnish with Parmigiano Reggiano, scallions, and reserved garlic slices.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥