Pasta e Fagioli – Hearty, Italian pasta with beans soup cooked in a seasoned tomato based broth, vegetables and small Ditalini pasta makes a wholesome one-pot meal for weeknight dinner or a potluck dish. This family favorite vegetarian soup is ready in under 30-minutes and uses basic pantry ingredients.
This recipe is inspired by the Pasta e Fagioli soup that I have enjoyed for years from a small pizzeria near my work. The delicious bean soup loaded with garlic, carrots, creamy potatoes and the perfectly cooked pasta, served with crusty baguette to mop up the soup always made a hearty lunch.
Eventually when my office got relocated to a different town, I started to miss the simple and fresh taste of Pasta e Fagioli. I then started experimenting this soup at home to realize that it was really easy to make with the same restaurant-like taste, minus the prosciutto. Now, my entire family loves this comforting, healthy soup which is a huge WIN!
My newest version of this recipe of course uses the Instant Pot. Pasta e Fagioli soup gets its creamy texture from the soft cooked potatoes and cannelloni beans, carrots and celery add freshness to this soup.
The convenience of better than bouillon vegetable broth base and jarred marinara sauce helps make this soup in under 30 minutes. The tender ditalini pasta gets cooked along with the remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot maks this a true one-pot dish.
Easy steps to this EASY and tasty Pasta e Fagioli Soup:
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat olive oil. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for a minute.
- Add potatoes, tomato sauce, cannellini beans, pasta, parsley, crushed red pepper and vegetable broth. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 4 mins followed by Quick Release. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach or kale and enjoy hot!
Variations for the Pasta e Fagioli Soup:
- Use 2 cans of cannelloni beans or a mix of cannelloni and red kidney beans
- Add your favorite fresh herbs like parsley, basil or rosemary
- Stir in parmesan rind in the soup for extra flavor boost
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese
Pro-Tips for the perfect Instant Pto Pasta e Fagioli Soup:
- Cut the veggies small so they cook evenly in 4 minutes of pressure cooking.
- Pressure Cook should be half the cook time suggested on the pasta packaging. In this recipe I used ditalini pasta with 8-minutes stove-top cook time. Hence the pressure cook for this recipe is 4 minutes.
- Soup will continue to thicken as it cools down. If you are not serving right away, add a cup of water or broth when reheating.
If you are a soup lover like me check out these delicious and easy Instant Pot soups:
Here is a quick video on this easy 30-minute Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate
Italian pasta and bean soup loaded with garlic, carrots and creamy potato and perfectly cooked pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks thinly sliced
- 8-10 garlic cloves minced
- 1 big russet potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup tomato sauce marinara sauce
- 1 can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby kale rough chopped (optional)
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat olive oil. Add carrots, celery and garlic. Saute for a minute.
Add potatoes, tomato sauce, cannellini beans, pasta, parsley, crushed red pepper and vegetable broth. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 4 mins followed by Quick Release. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach and enjoy hot!
The pressure cook time should be half the cook time suggested on the pasta box.
The soup may look watery when you open the pot, give a quick stir and the soup will thicken up as it cools down.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.