Pasta Fagioli is a hearty Italian pasta and bean soup. Cooked in a perfectly seasoned tomato-based broth, vegetables, and pasta, this wholesome one-pot meal makes a delicious weeknight dinner. Best of all this favorite vegetarian soup is ready in under 30 minutes using this easy Instant Pot recipe.
Pasta Fagioli!! I fell in love with this soup when I used to work near a little, but amazing pizzeria. When my office moved I decided to experiment with making Pasta Fagioli at home. My version is vegetarian and on the table in 30 minutes with the Instant Pot—and has that restaurant-style flavor and texture that makes it so crave-able!! It’s one of our favorite weeknight dinners. Especially when served with a crusty baguette or toasty garlic bread ❤️
Pizzeria Inspired Recipe
This recipe is inspired by the Pasta e Fagioli soup that I have enjoyed for years from a small pizzeria near my work. The delicious bean soup loaded with garlic, carrots, creamy potatoes, and the perfectly cooked pasta, served with a crusty baguette to mop up the soup always made a hearty lunch.
Eventually, when my office got relocated to a different town, I started to miss the simple and fresh taste of Pasta e Fagioli. I then started experimenting with this soup at home to realize that it was really easy to make with the same restaurant-like taste, minus the prosciutto. Now, my entire family loves this comforting, healthy soup which is a huge WIN!
Pasta e Fagioli soup gets its creamy texture from the soft cooked potatoes and cannellini beans, carrots, and celery add freshness to this soup.
The convenience of better than bouillon vegetable broth base and jarred marinara sauce helps make this soup in under 30 minutes. The tender ditalini pasta gets cooked along with the remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot making this a true one-pot dish.
Here are the easy steps to make tasty Pasta e Fagioli soup:
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté for a minute. Add potatoes, tomato sauce, cannellini beans, pasta, parsley, crushed red pepper, and vegetable broth. Mix well.
Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 4 mins followed by Quick Release. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach or kale and enjoy hot!
- You can increase the cannellini beans in the soup by using 2 cans. You can also use one can each of cannellini and red kidney beans
- Add your favorite fresh herbs like parsley, basil, or rosemary
- Stir in parmesan rind in the soup for an extra flavor boost
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the veggies small so they cook evenly in 4 minutes of pressure cooking.
- Pressure Cook should be half the cook time suggested on the pasta packaging. In this recipe, I used ditalini pasta with 8-minutes stove-top cook time. Hence the pressure cook for this recipe is 4 minutes.
- Soup will continue to thicken as it cools down. If you are not serving right away, add a cup of water or broth when reheating.
Serve hot with a warm sliced baguette. You can also add some parmesan cheese while serving and for a spicy kick sprinkle some red chili flakes on top.
Soup can be refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. The pasta will continue to absorb liquids thicken. To reheat simply add warm water or broth and bring it to a gentle boil.
If making ahead or for a freezer-friendly option, cook the soup without the pasta. Boil pasta separately and add it to the soup when serving.
If you are a soup lover like me check out these delicious and easy Instant Pot soups:
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Chicken Coriander Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- EASY Chicken Tortilla Soup
Pasta e Fagioli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks thinly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 1 big russet potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup tomato sauce marinara sauce
- 1 can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby kale rough chopped (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat olive oil. Add carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Add potatoes, tomato sauce, cannellini beans, pasta, parsley, crushed red pepper, and vegetable broth. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 4 mins followed by Quick Release. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach and enjoy hot!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.