Too hot or too cold to grill outside? Try this Instant Pot Tandoori Chicken recipe. Tender, cooked to perfection chicken with a finger-licking marinade. You can finish off the cooking by optionally broiling the chicken for 5 mins.
Tandoori Chicken is traditionally cooked in a clay oven known as Tandoor. Here in the US, many of us use outdoor grills, indoor ovens in lieu of the Tandoor. And now I am thrilled to have his modern version using an Instant Pot that results in luscious and spicy Tandoori Chicken with a hands-free recipe.
Hope you had a great Memorial day weekend! We had a FUN long weekend - we got to hang out with our cousins, played soccer tournament, and ran a 5K race. Although it rained all day in the Northeast and was a bit chilly for the memorial day BBQ, we did not give up on our plans.
We decided to bring our cookout indoors. We had chicken marinating for 8+ hours, that I cooked in my InstaPot. The result was succulent, fall off the bone, moist and flavorful tandoori chicken, that we enjoyed with some spicy mint chutney and corn pulao!
Marinating the chicken for a longer time adds more flavor to the final dish. Although you can use chicken breasts or thighs to make Tandoori Chicken, my favorite way is to cook with the drumsticks.
When you are ready to cook, add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot and put the trivet inside the pot. Place the chicken pieces over the trivet, layering the pieces if needed. Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 15 minutes followed by a 10-minute natural pressure release.
Before serving, you can broil the tandoori chicken in a preheated oven for 5 minutes. We can hardly resist the succulent, aromatic tandoori chicken right out of the Instant Pot and always skip the broiling.
Tips for the perfect Tandoori Chicken Instant Pot recipe:
- Pat dry the chicken before marinating to avoid access liquids.
- Marinate the chicken for at least an hour.
- Use plain full fat yogurt for the marinade.
- Use fresh garam masala. Homemade garam masala works the best!
Here is a quick video for an easy Tandoori Chicken recipe in Instant Pot:
Looking for a quick and fun dinner idea for the kids? Serve Tandoori Chicken with easy pasta in creamy tomato sauce and dinner is a big hit! The spicy tandoori flavor goes well with the creaminess of the pasta.
Tandoori Chicken - Instant Pot
- 2 LB 8 Chicken drumsticks, skinned
- ½ cup plain yogurt Make It Dairy Free by using Coconut yogurt
- ½ tablespoon ginger grated
- ½ tablespoon garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoon Kashmiri red chili powder or any mild red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a large bowl, add yogurt, ginger, garlic, red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala, salt, lemon juice and oil. Mix well.
- Dry skinned drumsticks with a paper towel. Put 2-3 slits on each drumstick and apply marinade all over the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot insert. Lightly grease the trivet with cooking oil and place inside the pot. Arrange the marinated Chicken pieces on the trivet.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 15 mins followed by Natural Pressure Release. Open Instant Pot.
- Enjoy Tandoori chicken with lime wedges and chutney over steamed rice or Pulao.