Spicy chicken marinated in yogurt, kashmiri red chili powder, fresh ginger-garlic, garam masala and then grilled to perfection! Tandoori chicken, is a classic indian dish that is healthy, easy to cook and a definite crowd pleaser. Whenever I have to take a dish to a summer party, this is the dish that comes to mind.
My boys LOVE tandoori chicken. For years, we ate it in restaurants, our fingers got red from the food coloring they used. Every time we went to India we would enjoy my mom’s Tandoori chicken on her terrace mini-tandoor and it was so much more flavorful and bright red without any artificial coloring. The secret when I asked her was the mild kashmiri chili powder that gave her tandoori chicken the bright hue.
I finally got her recipe and realized how easy it was to make tandoori chicken at home. Before we knew it was on our repeat list. It is also my go-to dish when I have guests over and for those warm summer evening get-togethers. In addition to yogurt, fresh ginger and garlic the other key ingredient to this recipe is the home made garam masala.
I usually use chicken breasts for most of my recipes, however tandoori chicken is an exception. I feel drumsticks are a must for this recipe. After de-skinning the drumsticks, make 3-4 slits across each drumstick. Then I whisk together grated ginger-garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, yogurt, lemon juice and salt to make the marinade. Apply the marinade evenly on the chicken pieces and let it marinate in the refrigerator for atleast 5-6 hours or up-to 24 hours. The longer you marinate the more flavorful the chicken will be.
Take the chicken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling. Baste the chicken with some cooking oil and arrange it on a grilling pan or on the outdoor grill.
You can grill it on a outdoor grill for 20 mins. Alternatively, bake it at 450 F in an oven for 15 mins, followed by 5 minutes of broiling to get some perfectly grilled charred marks.
Grilled vegetables, corn or a crunchy salad pairs very well with this dish.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 8-10 de-skinned chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup plain regular or low fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon kashmiri or any other mild red chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Make 3-4 slits across each drumstick. Whisk together ginger-garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, yogurt, lemon juice and salt to make the marinade. Apply evenly to the chicken pieces and let it marinate in the refrigerator for atleast 5-6 hours or up-to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat the grill or oven at 450 F. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling. Baste the chicken with some cooking oil and arrange it on a grilling pan or on the outdoor grill.
- You can grill it on an outdoor grill for 20 mins or until the juices run clear. Alternatively, bake it in an oven for 15 mins, followed by 5 minutes of broiling to get some perfectly grilled charred marks.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and sliced onion.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.