Tomato, Beetroot and Carrot soup – A vibrant and bright soup with rich creamy texture and a hint of spice from whole cinnamon and freshly ground black pepper.
Growing up, I remember eating tomato soup made frequently by my mom. Many times it was her go-to recipe for holiday parties and it was a healthy way to start the first course. Served with her homemade croutons this soup is still a crowd pleaser.
Very recently after tasting tomato soup at different places I realized that my mom’s soup has a unique flavor and and a bright beautiful color without any additives. When I asked her for the recipe I found out that she adds carrots and beetroots to them which explains the beautiful color and the creamy texture. This healthy soup is very appetizing with its sweet and tangy flavors, mildly spiced with the wonderful aroma.
Tomatoes, packed with beneficial nutrients and antioxidants, and are a rich source of vitamin A, C and folic acid. Beetroots are an excellent source of folic acid and an excellent source of fiber, manganese and potassium. Carrots are particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.
Here is a step by step recipe:
Wash tomatoes, Beetroot and carrots:
Peel and chop the carrots and beetroot. Cut the tomatoes in half.
Pressure cook all 3 vegetables with a small cinnamon stick for 10 mins.
Optionally, you can also cook them in a crock pot or a regular pot on stove stop with 1 cup of water.
Let the boiled vegetables cool down. Remove the cinnamon stick and the skin from the tomatoes. Puree the rest and strain to remove any seeds from the tomatoes.
Mix corn starch to half cup of water and add it to the tomato puree. Stir well.
Heat ghee in a medium pot. Add cumin seeds and once they begin to sizzle turn off the heat and slowly add the puree.
Add sugar, salt, red chili powder and fresh ground pepper to taste. Bring it to boil on medium high heat stirring few times.
A vibrant and bright soup with rich creamy texture and a hint of spice from whole cinnamon and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5 ripe tomatoes halved
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small beetroot peeled and cubed
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
- salt to taste
- Pressure cook tomatoes, beets and carrots with the cinnamon stick for 10 mins.
- Cool down boiled vegetables. Discard the cinnamon stick and the skin from the tomatoes. Puree the rest in a blender.
- Strain and discard any seeds from the tomatoes.
- Mix corn starch in 1/2 cup of water and Add it to the tomato puree. Stir well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee a medium pot. Add cumin seeds and once they begin to sizzle turn off the heat and carefully pour the puree in the pot.
- Add sugar, salt, red chili powder and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil on medium high heat stirring few times.
- Serve hot with some garlic croutons!
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.