Vegan Banana Bread is a lightly sweetened, dense bread made with flax seeds and vegetable oil. This bread is perfect for using up those couple of overripe bananas that we all have on our kitchen counters.
This banana bread makes a great breakfast or snack. It's a small bundt cake that can be cooked in your Instant Pot without having to heat up your kitchen, especially during the summer months.
Even for some of us who eat eggs, using flax seeds is a good idea to add some extra fiber and omega-3s to this delicious banana bread.
Flax seeds have an earthy, nutty flavor making them a perfect ingredient for baking bread, muffins, and cookies. The gum in the flax seed coating becomes gelatinous when the seeds are simply ground and whisked with water. So go ahead and try these flax eggs for added nutrition and fiber in your banana bread.
Tips for perfect Banana Bread
- Use super ripe bananas
- White sugar can be replaced with brown sugar
- You can use a regular cake pan instead of a bundt cake pan with the same cook time
- Depending on the size and shape of your pan you may need extra 5 minutes of cook time
- Grease the pan well so the cake can slide off easily
- You may substitute the flax eggs mixture with 1 egg
You can use store-bought flaxseed meal or grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder. Mash the bananas.
Make the batter by mixing in all the ingredients, and pour it in the grease bundt pan
Cover the pan with a paper towel and aluminum foil and pressure cook for 50 minutes. Release the remaining pressure after 10 minutes and open the Instant Pot. Allow the banana bread to cool for 5 minutes before flipping it onto a plate.
Here are some more Instant Pot bread recipes:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback. Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Vegan Banana Bread - Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- Grease and flour the Bundt pan and keep aside.
- Make flax egg by whisking ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water until the mixture becomes gelatinous. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Peel and Mash bananas in a medium bowl. Add flaxseed mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, salt, baking soda and mix well.
- Add flour and combine.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan. Gently cover the pan with a paper towel. Using a piece of aluminum foil, cover the paper towel and gently secure the paper towel around the rim of the cake pan. Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Place the cake pan on the trivet. Gently put the trivet in the pot. Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing.
- Select Manual/Pressure Cook (Hi) and adjust the cook time to 50 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and carefully lift the trivet with the pan, and take it out. Allow the banana bread to cool for 5 minutes and then flip the bread onto a plate.
- Use store-bought flaxseed meal or make it at home by grinding whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder.
- You can also bake this banana bread in the oven for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips or rough-chopped walnuts just before cooking.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Heide Horeth says
We eat a lot of banana bread and though my husband always makes it(his signature dish) I will ask him to try this recipe. I have made a number of your recipes and loved them all. This week was my 5th time making the eggplant pepper dip! Can you tell me the size of the bundt pan as mine is too large for the IP. Maybe the cup measurement would help...or does it have a special name?
Hi Heide, It is a smaller bundt pan and I have a link for it in the detailed blog post. Let me know if you cannot find it. And I am SO glad you are enjoying my Instant Pot recipes. I have to agree that the eggplant pepper dip has become my go-to recipe especially for entertaining.
Bonnie Yagiela says
Can this be made without the oil? We are supposed to go as fat free as possible.
Hi Bonnie, I have not tried oil-free recipe in the Instant Pot. But I have replaced oil with apple sauce and baked in the oven.
Thank you Sonal!
Can you use whole wheat flour or pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour?
I have not tried with whole wheat or pastry flour. Usually I mix I half whole wheat and half flour when I make it in the oven, but I have not tried it in the pressure cooker
Archana, I love your recipes, also love Banana bread, but if i wanted yo use eggs instead off Flax seed, how many eggs I will be using.
Thank you for your help
Hi Shail, you will need 1 large egg
Supriya ram says
Archana can we make this in the Pyrex bowl.. if so can you pls give me the measurement of the bowl and timings for it.
Hi Supriya, I have not tried this in Pyrex, I recently heard that sometimes the glass bowls may break in the Instant Pot. May be you can use a stainless stell bowl instead with same cook times.
I completely forgot to get vanilla and was planning to make this today. Any good substitutes?
You can make it without vanilla
Thank you for the recipe. Can you tell me if baking time is the same if put in 12 silicone muffins?
It will be much less time. I am not sure how big your silicone moulds are but 14 to 20 mins should be perfect.