Quick White Chicken Poblano Chili – Delicious and hearty, one pot smokey chili recipe that just needs you to dump all the ingredients and start the Instant Pot.
This simple and versatile chili recipe can be easily changed to your preference and taste. This one pot meal can be made in under 30 minutes and best of all is a pretty hands-off recipe. Although the recipe calls for 10 min natural pressure release, you can also allow full natural oressure release as the chili will not overcook.
What are Poblano Peppers:
Thick, dark green-skinned peppers supposedly named after their place of origin the state of Puebla in Central Mexico. These medium spiced peppers add intense flavors and spice to dishes. Pobalano flavors are often roasted to bring out the smokey flavors. I love them in this chili as the pressure cooking helps bring out the smokey flavors without having to go through the extra step of roasting the chilies.
What is Masa Harina?
Used as a thickener in this recipe, masa harina is dried corn dough used to make corn tortillas. If you do not masa harina you can use corn starch instead.
How to make this quick Poblano Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot:
- Heat oil and add roasted ground cumin (whole cumin seeds will work too), onion & garlic. Add poblano peppers, jalapenos, chicken, cannelini beans, salt & water. Give a quick stir and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
Note: Since I cut up the chicken breasts in small bite sized pieces I pressure cook it for 5 minutes and allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release. You can also add whole chicken breasts and shred them later.
- Add masa harina mixed in water and cook on saute mode until the chili comes to a full boil. Remember that the chili will thicken up after it cools for just 2 to 3 minutes.
Just like most chilis you can serve this poblano chicken chili with lot of fun toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
- pepper jack cheese
- red hot sauce
- squeeze of lime
- tortilla chips
Variations for this Quick Poblano Chicken Chili:
- We love poblano but feel free to skip them or add an extra jalapeños for more heat.
- Add a cup of corn to this recipe to get a twist of sweet and spicy flavors.
- We added chicken cut into small pieces but you can also add chicken breasts cut into half and then shred after cooking.
A good idea to double up this white chicken chili recipe as the flavors get even better the next day plus it freezes well. If you are a chili fan like us, check this buffalo chicken chili recipe that is zesty and flavorful!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (1 cup)
- 3 poblano peppers diced (3 cups)
- 1 pound chicken breasts cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced (optional)
- 2 cans great northern beans or cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1.5 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese shredded, optional
- lime wedges
Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add oil, cumin, garlic, onion, poblano peppers, chicken, jalapenos, beans and salt. Mix well. Add water and give a quick stir.
Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual / Pressure Cook(Hi) for 5 minutes followed with 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release.
Mix masa harina in ½ cup of water. Add this paste to the chili. Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the chili to a gentle boil. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy hot with additional garnish of cheese and a squeeze of fresh lime.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.