Cabbage Rice is a simple and tasty, vegan rice dish that is loaded with vitamins from cabbage and has just right heat from fresh ginger and green chilies.
This is one of my mom’s newest recipe that I got to taste and learn when she visited me this summer. When she first made it on the stove-top, I was not sure if it would be a good recipe for Instant Pot. As, this recipe does not use a lot of water. The soaked rice is basically slow cooked with little water and then all the juices from shredded cabbage. It did take us a couple of tries to achieve this perfect Instant Pot recipe!
We started with a whole head of cabbage bought fresh from the farmers market. After chopping it into smaller pieces, we grated them in the food processor. We had about eight heaping cups of cabbage that we used in this recipe!
This recipe uses long grain Basmati rice and is cooked mostly in the water released from the cabbage. Rice button, which is a 12 minute low-pressure setting works perfectly for this recipe. And if there is some rice browned at the bottom, just scrape it and enjoy it.
Here is a good article I recently came across that explains asafetida or hing used as an optional ingredient in this recipe!
Notes for tasty cabbage rice in Instant Pot:
- Use long grain white Basmati Rice
- Soak Rice for 2 hours
- use fresh ginger and curry leaves
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida optional for gluten free
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 2 tablespoon ginger grated
- 4 green chillies minced
- 8 cups shredded cabbage packed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh coconut grated
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times and then soak the rice in 4 cups of warm water for 2 hours. Drain the rice and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Once the ‘hot’ sign displays add oil and asafetida. Add mustard seeds and allow them to pop.
- Add peanuts and sauté for a minute. Add turmeric, curry leaves, ginger and green chili. Mix everything together and cook until peanuts are golden brown.
Add grated cabbage and salt. Mix again. Add drained rice and gently mix everything together. Add 2 cups of water.
Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Press the ‘Rice’ button. Allow Natural Pressure Release. Open Instant Pot and pour lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro and coconut. Enjoy hot!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.