Piping hot cabbage parathas made with whole wheat flour, red cabbage, kale, ginger, and green chili. These veggie-packed parathas are flavorful and make for a perfect breakfast or meal served with Indian pickle and yogurt.
I always have green and red cabbage in my refrigerator. They have a long shelf life and can be used to make Indian stir fry, salads, and to make delicious slaw for taco toppings. In this recipe, I have used red cabbage. which has 10 times more vitamin A and twice as much iron as green cabbage!
Parathas are typically made by stuffing vegetable filling inside the whole wheat dough and then rolling them flat. These cabbage parathas are made differently. Instead of making the filling separately, I make the dough by mixing flour, veggies, and spices together.
The key to these parathas is finely chopped veggies so it's easy to roll them. I like to use a food processor to mince the cabbage, you can also use a box grater. To add more nutrition to these parathas I love adding finely chopped kale. Simply remove the thick stems and finely chop the leaves or mince in the food processor.
- Mince cabbage, kale, ginger, and green chilies in the food processor. Add sesame seeds, carrot seeds, turmeric, and salt to whole wheat flour.
- Mix all the ingredients well, there will be lot of moisture from all the vegetables. Massaging the veggies in the flour will help release some of the moisture and form the dough.
- Add little bit of water as needed and make soft pliable dough. Add oil and knead the dough once again for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make balls out of the dough. Roll each ball into a thin 8-10 inch circle using dry wheat flour.
- Heat a griddle on medium-high heat. Cook the rolled paratha evenly on both sides. Add some ghee to both sides after paratha is almost cooked on both sides.
- Serve Purple Cabbage Parathas with a spicy lemon pickle, yogurt, or peanut yogurt chutney!
Love Indian Parathas. Try some of my other favorite recipes:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Purple Cabbage Parathas
- Mix all the minced vegetables. Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour, carom seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well. Add little water to make a soft pliable dough. Add some oil and knead the dough well. Let the dough rest for 10 mins.
- Make balls out of the dough. Roll each ball using some dry wheat flour into thin 8-10 inch paratha.
- Heat griddle/pan on medium-high heat. Cook the rolled paratha evenly on both sides. Add some ghee to both sides after paratha is almost cooked on both sides.
- Serve hot with pickle and yogurt.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥